Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2007, 08:46 PM

Default Thoughts regarding Virginia Tech shooting

I was thinking about the statement someone said earlier in the BBV4LIFE thread about not really caring about the incident because he is a non-american. He received alot of angry responses but I actually think this perspective is totally acceptable despite his insensitivity. I'm a North American university student who can certainly empathize with the victims in this situation.

The outrage and public shock of the shooting is so large because it was on American soil, affected a major demographic of the vocal/affluent subset of society that is considered the general public, and was carried out in a shockingly violent manner (yes a similar incident in a third world country with high death rates would still be a major news story).

To say this isn't a major tragedy, shouldnt get major coverage, etc. is stupid but I can understand why some people might feel bitter about the response. The hundreds if not thousands of people that die preventable deaths each day that go largely ignored (in comparison to sudden shock events such as this) despite our awareness of their plight is the worlds biggest tragedy. The fact that we (as a canadian i feel that americans and canadians are generally indistinguishable) find so much more outrage in a tragedy such as this than in the many pandemics being suffered around the world (aids/hunger/drought in africa etc.) signifies an inherent nationalist and neo-racist perspective that frightens me. I really hope that people begin to consider themselves foremost as global citizens within my lifetime.

It is good to see people come together and offer their prayers and condolences to people after such a horrific event but I can't help but be a little bit disgusted by the indignance and ignorance expressed by many. Firstly people consider the shooter in a completely one-dimensional perspective as evil incarnate. I don't think people understand the insanity or personal torment that must exist to lead someone to take the lives of so many others and then his own and the potential causes of this inner conflict. The outrage being expressed at the administration for on shutting down the school earlier etc., I guarantee you that they made the best informed decisions they could and feel the utmost guilt and remorse for today's events.

Basically it kills me everytime I see people express outrage or indignance when they have done little to better society themselves. To see people asking for the heads of the administration of Virginia Tech but allowing hundreds of people to die of hunger everyday.

These are just some ramblings about some issues that interest me. They may be incoherent and they may be ignorant but I'm very interested in other peoples views and my opinions are very open to change.

Also, I don't mean to take anything away from those lost today, in fact I am hoping that people will put more value into the loss of human life.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:03 PM

Default Re: Thoughts regarding Virginia Tech shooting

Well,

On one level, an America which 're'elects G W Bush doesnt get to ask for anyone to be fired for incompetance in tragic circumstances is a solid argument to make.

On the other hand the spread of anti-Americanism isnt helping the situations either.

I remember just after that big tsunami hit, there was a poster who said "whatever, they were the same people who cheered when they heard about 9/11". Yeah, damn those budhists!

People pointed out his ignorance. No one threatened to kill him.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:11 PM

Roughly 120 people die every day on American highways. Where is the national outrage? The media lacks any sense of proportion and that's likely the fault of this totally screwed culture. Thirty-odd student deaths is sad but 120 automotive accident deaths strikes me as a greater tragedy.

I imagine that part of the asymmetry lies in the fact that people have rated the risk of sitting in a college classroom at zero when it's some tiny, non-zero fraction. The automotive risk is better understood.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:23 PM

Heavily,

I suspect the answer is nothing to do with comparitive death rates so much as the way it is shown on the news.

From what i understand there was repeated showing of videos either showing kids being shot, or you could hear them being shot.

Add in a "ZOMG, i cant believe it, most shocking thing ever" reporting mentality and there you go.

Fwiw, the biggest news story of today was related to Mochtada al Sadar (im prolly spelling it wrong, i know, didnt look it up). He has had his 3 ministers in the Iraqi government resign their positions.

Add in the recent demonstrations he called for against coalition presence in Iraq and its potentially leading to a scenario of even more death and destruction in one of the few places on the planet we can accept death and distruction.

And somehow its all our fault when it goes wrong.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:25 PM

phil, the tsunami predominantly affected muslims
Old 04-16-2007, 09:39 PM

Phil,

Photo from the tsunami disaster:

The guy with the bin Laden t-shirt is probably not a Buddhist.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
phil, the tsunami predominantly affected muslims

[/ QUOTE ]

Ill assume you are right dont really know for sure.

Either way, im sure none celebrated 9/11.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Phil,

Photo from the tsunami disaster:

The guy with the bin Laden t-shirt is probably not a Buddhist.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about the guy with Don King's haircut and the skirt?
Old 04-16-2007, 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Roughly 120 people die every day on American highways. Where is the national outrage? The media lacks any sense of proportion and that's likely the fault of this totally screwed culture. Thirty-odd student deaths is sad but 120 automotive accident deaths strikes me as a greater tragedy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those deaths aren't really avoidable since automobile transporation is absolutely required for society to exist as we know it. Being shot by a guy on a rampage is not.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:38 PM

photo from the tsunami disaster:
(me fighting islamic terrorist)

*this actually is a picture of tsunami clean up