Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2007, 01:33 AM

Default Is not believing in gay rights biggoted?

So i just got into a huge fight with my mother over gay rights. Basically she is a typical conservative, and i of course am not. She believes that allowing gays to marry would decrease family values in the Us, and therefore ruin the society fabric of a "family". I told her that adding a title and a few rights (such as tax benefits and insurance sharing for couples) would not have an impact at all on straight families. The same number of people will be gay, regardless. I proceeded to say that i felt that not believing in equal rights for gays and straight couples was bigotted. Of course she was angry and hung up on me. Thoughts?
Old 04-16-2007, 01:41 AM

Default Re: Is not believing in gay rights biggoted?

[ QUOTE ]

So i just got into a huge fight with my mother over gay rights. Basically she is a typical conservative, and i of course am not. She believes that allowing gays to marry would decrease family values in the Us, and therefore ruin the society fabric of a "family". I told her that adding a title and a few rights (such as tax benefits and insurance sharing for couples) would not have an impact at all on straight families. The same number of people will be gay, regardless. I proceeded to say that i felt that not believing in equal rights for gays and straight couples was bigotted. Of course she was angry and hung up on me. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling your mom a bigot is bad, mmmmkay?
Old 04-16-2007, 01:43 AM

Instantly "hate labeling" those we disagree with is a poor argument form and smacks of the PC society much of The West has become.

I don't see anywhere in your OP where your mother hates gay people or any such stuff. Because she has different views to you doesn't make her a biggot.

PS I am fully in support of equal rights and protections for homosexuals (marriage, service in military, e.t.c.)
Old 04-16-2007, 01:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Instantly "hate labeling" those we disagree with is a poor argument form and smacks of the PC society much of The West has become.

I don't see anywhere in your OP where your mother hates gay people or any such stuff. Because she has different views to you doesn't make her a biggot.

PS I am fully in support of equal rights and protections for homosexuals (marriage, service in military, e.t.c.)

[/ QUOTE ]

So believing that others should be of lower legal standing to you based on sexuality is not biggoted? Im just asking because i guess i always considered this was. I never called my mother a bigot directly. I simply said that if you believed that certain groups deserved lesser rights than others that was discrimination/bigotry.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:52 AM

Not belieiving in gay rights is pretty much the definition of bigoted.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So believing that others should be of lower legal standing to you based on sexuality is not biggoted? Im just asking because i guess i always considered this was. I never called my mother a bigot directly. I simply said that if you believed that certain groups deserved lesser rights than others that was discrimination/bigotry.

[/ QUOTE ]

When you the frame the question "just so," you are looking for a correct answer. Many people on many issues don't look at it from that perspective.

I'm sure many, non-biggoted, reasonable people might look at it from the perspective of not elevating other groups legal status purely based upon _______. Looking at it from this perspective, you can see it is not so black and white. There exists a middle ground of thought that doesn't make one either a biggot or a flaming haired liberal.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There exists a middle ground of thought that doesn't make one either a biggot or a flaming haired liberal.

[/ QUOTE ]

It may not be consious bigotry, but that's what it is.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When you the frame the question "just so," you are looking for a correct answer. Many people on many issues don't look at it from that perspective.

I'm sure many, non-biggoted, reasonable people might look at it from the perspective of not elevating other groups legal status purely based upon _______. Looking at it from this perspective, you can see it is not so black and white. There exists a middle ground of thought that doesn't make one either a biggot or a flaming haired liberal.

[/ QUOTE ]

While i understand your argument, making one group of people subject to a lesser set of rights is disciminatory at least in my eyes.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There exists a middle ground of thought that doesn't make one either a biggot or a flaming haired liberal.

[/ QUOTE ]

It may not be consious bigotry, but that's what it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

This depends on one's definition of a homosexual. If someone considers homosexuality a choice, regardless of the merits of that opinion, then they would not be acting with bigotry.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:08 AM

according to Wikipedia,
[ QUOTE ]
A bigot is a prejudiced person who is intolerant of opinions, lifestyles, or identities differing from his or her own.

[/ QUOTE ]
so it seems that it is bigoted not to believe in gay rights.