Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2007, 07:34 PM

Default Im stuck at my limits and im not really learning anymore?

Hi,
I am a regular player at 1/2 NLH games and make a small but regular profit at this level, playing pretty much every day. Despite this however, Im starting to feel a bit frustrated at not really progressing anymore. For the last couple of years I have lived and breathed the game, read all the books, all the forums, etc. I play most days as much as I can. I feel like im a very decent player, but cant quite seem to make a step up to higher limits.
When I have played 2/4 in the past I dont do bad by any means, but I cant seem to have nearly as much success at lower levels, and feel like im more dependtant upon the cards and varience than anything else.

Has anyone else had this problem and is there away around it? I know when I make mistakes, but other than cutting out the few errors I may make Im stuck as to how I can beat the higher level games.
Any thoughts?
Old 04-15-2007, 08:19 PM

Default Re: Im stuck at my limits and im not really learning anymore?

Just a general thought, but I have often mused that this is the point above which TAG doesn't do nearly as well as LAG anymore. I feel that at this point there are a bunch of well-versed TAGs and to get beyond them one needs to play LAGish (and to brave a storm of insults from said TAGs). Also, as your competition gets better, naturally your profit will be shallower and your variance will increase. I don't see how one can get much advantage beyond that except for table selection.

Then again I am just a micro/small-stakes balla...
Old 04-15-2007, 09:31 PM

I use to play TAG but i transformed into a LAG. TAG just bored me now im making more money being a LAG and i see alot more action so im not bored. Also it helps that i was a TAG because i understand the Pschology of a TAG mind.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:14 PM

SAME HERE.
No lie, except for for me I just regressed into a slight loser because I' can't get my head back in the game. I just don't care anymore.
So, I switched to H.O.R.S.E. as my main game and I like poker again. Also, I don't know if you play with poker as your sole income like I have for the last couple years, But if you have, apply for some jobs.
That's what I did and I'm excited about the prospect of doing something different and having a new challenge to face, even though it'll be a little less money than what I'm making now. It also put a whole new spark in my poker game.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:51 AM

Yeah being to caught up in the game probably isnt doing anything good for you at all. Start working out/take a vacation/get a job/meet new people/whatever.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:57 AM

Try some other games as well. I used to play NLH all the time. Until the same point. Then I found my pleasure in Omaha. There is so much to learn. Now, i never stopped playing NLH online but live im only playing PLO and H.O.R.S.E.(except for tournaments). Try this, i guess it'll work.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:27 PM

Me 4 or so for switching it up. This will both keep the game fresh, and keep you learning. It's interesting how certain skills learned in one game transfer to others (e.g. remembering cards in Stud ~ identifying betting patterns in holdem, to some extent)
Old 04-18-2007, 06:01 PM

Generally when you move up the competition should get better so likely that might be part of the problem. What works at a lower level may not work at the next level so you have to learn to adjust. Perhaps talk/watch some of the profitable players at the higher games to see what they are doing and what you aren't.

To improve, sometimes you have to sacrifice profit in order to learn. That's the price you pay I guess. Also it sounds like your playing tighter at the higher level. Obviously the money you can lose is more significant since it is higher limits. To go to the next level, you have to feel comfortable playing. Perhaps your bankroll isn't sufficient to handle the swings at the next level.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:28 AM

My first thought is that sick! is correct. You are playing too tight in higher limit games because you're constantly thinking of where you would be with 3 more bad beats.

You have to be willing to risk losing money to win more of it. That's the secret.
Old 04-29-2007, 02:59 PM

Try thinking on multiple levels. I was stuck in the $1-$2 game for a while after mastering the basics. Now that I think on multiple levels I can crush any $1-$2 game and most $2-$5 and $5-$10 games. It also keeps you interested and challenged.

Just determine what level your opponenet is thinking on and be one step ahead of them. For example:
Zeroth level- What do I have
1st level- What does my opponent have
2nd level- What does my opponent think I have
3rd level-What does my opponent think, I think he has
and so on...