Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2007, 08:17 AM

Default Problem with new car: Decals present, against agreement.

I'm a nit. I don't like dealer decals on cars.

I just bought a car (Hyundai accent sedan). I asked for no decal on it, and the dealer agreed. The contract that I first signed had no mention of decals being present, only the model of the car, with the interior and exterior colours and the options on it. There were subsequent contracts that were signed upon receipt of the vehicle. I haven't looked through those yet.

I live in Ontario Canada. I received the vehicle last night and drove it home, but that's it.

I want a new car. That's correct, I don't want the existing decals removed from the current car, but rather, I want a new car, which has never had decals affixed to it. Just basically because I'd prefer that over the alternative for QC reasons. I haven't contacted the dealership yet, as they're closed on Sundays.

QC = quality control. The adhesive that they use to put these things on is designed to last for the life of the car and will potentially remove paint. Then they'd have to repaint, and I'm not willing to buy a car that's been repainted.

Do you guys have any suggestions for how I should go about discussing this with them, and what recourse I have if they prove unco-operative?

Finally, the deed is already in my name, and therefore it'll potentially be expensive to transfer the ownership back to them and the ownership of a new car back to me, and I'll have to contact my insurance company about the switch, etc etc.

I think I'll have put like 20km on the car in the meantime, getting it to and from the dealership.

The deal needs to be done by Tuesday, as after that date I lose $6/day by not having the car.

I am not willing to pay any fees for ownership transfer, and I will insist on the compensation of 6/day on the switching of vehicles (past Tuesday at 5pm). I don't require compensation for my time in switching the insurance, or anything to do with drop off and pick up of the vehicles.

You may not agree with my distaste for decals, or the immoderate nature of my goals. That's not really relevant to me. However, please, if you know about how I may best approach the issue with the dealership, I would appreciate all advice for that aspect of this situation. Anyways, please don't trainwreck this thread if you don't like it. For your viewing pleasure, I'm making a car trouble trainwreck thread and linking to it, so you can post there.

Trainwreck: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...vc=#Post9959071
Old 04-15-2007, 08:37 AM

Default Re: Problem with new car: Decals present, against agreement.

In the states there is a certain time period when you can cancle a contract, does such a thing exist up in Canada? If so ask the dealer for a car without decals like you both agreed upon, if he balks cancle the contract and give them back the car and go somewhere else. You probably should have not taken delivery of the car with the decals on it...
Old 04-15-2007, 08:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In the states there is a certain time period when you can cancle a contract, does such a thing exist up in Canada? If so ask the dealer for a car without decals like you both agreed upon, if he balks cancle the contract and give them back the car and go somewhere else. You probably should have not taken delivery of the car with the decals on it...

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally agreed, but I was up for like 20 hrs on 4hrs sleep, so I was just trying to get home to bed. That said, I don't believe that accepting delivery of the car in any way obligates me to fulfill my end of a void contract.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:57 AM

I agree, but picking up the car was when you had the most leverage. Doing the "buyer's remorse" thing is going to be a large pita.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree, but picking up the car was when you had the most leverage. Doing the "buyer's remorse" thing is going to be a large pita.

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally agree.

I don't want to sound rude, but do you have any suggestions for what to do currently?
Old 04-15-2007, 09:00 AM

Just park the car on the dealer's lot and do a chargeback on your credit card.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just park the car on the dealer's lot and do a chargeback on your credit card.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not an option. Already gave them certified cheque for $7000. Most I could charge back via CC would be 500.

edit: called my bank, I can cancel a bank draft by presenting the original document to the bank, but I've already given that (I have just receipt) to the car company. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 04-15-2007, 09:02 AM

If you have the "Buyers Remorse" thing in Canada use that. Regardless you are going to have to go talk to the guy who sold you the car and explain the situation. If he isn't going to help then escalate, using either BR or a lawsuit as the stick. If you have a local news show that does those consumer support reports be willing to use them as well. The first step is to talk to the dealership though.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:10 AM

took me like 2 minutes to remove the decals from my car.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you have the "Buyers Remorse" thing in Canada use that. Regardless you are going to have to go talk to the guy who sold you the car and explain the situation. If he isn't going to help then escalate, using either BR or a lawsuit as the stick. If you have a local news show that does those consumer support reports be willing to use them as well. The first step is to talk to the dealership though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, I have no idea if we have a universal 30-day return policy on vehicles, but I'd doubt it. But hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised.