Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2007, 04:28 AM

Default Huh? Rippetoe Log

6'2 200 haven't worked out in ages...out of shape but still not really super fat...thin and fatty in certain areas...no real muscle anywhere.

Chest: 41 inchs
Waist: 37 inchs
Neck: 16 inchs
Biceps: 14 inchs
Ass: 43 inchs
Thigh: 23 inchs

Sat.
Squats 3x5x85
Rows 3x5x65
Military Press 3x5x65
Pull-ups 2x8x110 of assistance

The squats were kind of dicey cuz on my left leg I instantly felt like tightness on the upper front thigh in the middle.

I was able to finish but its kinda sore..didn't feel it anywhere else so not sure if i tweaked that muscle with my prior squats. I iced it and hopefully it goes away but if not may have to take a break from the squats. Not sure how to stretch that area because the normal pull your leg behind you doesn't stretch the muscle that high up.

The rows were a disaster. I watched countless videos, but A even when I'm like practically parrallel to the ground...I can't reach all the way down to the bar. So I have to way way round my back to grab the weight and then pull it up. Not sure if it is cuz
A I don't have a big plate on each side which would put the bar slightly higher off the ground.
B my legs are pretty long compared to the rest of my body
C me flexablity sucks
D my form is bad or I'm doing something wrong in terms of placing the bar in relation to my feet etc.

Anyways it was really hurting my lower back so I ended up essentially doing a normal barbell row by having the weight come to a complete stop on the down portion...but it was resting mid-air bout a foot or 1/2 foot off the ground instead of resting on the ground.

On a sidenote I hate how [censored] thick the grip is on the pullup machine. I'd much prefer a skinnier bar where I could get a strong grip. Maybe straps would help.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:15 AM

Default Re: Huh? Rippetoe Log

[ QUOTE ]
6'2 200 haven't worked out in ages...out of shape but still not really super fat...thin and fatty in certain areas...no real muscle anywhere.

Chest: 41 inchs
Waist: 37 inchs
Neck: 16 inchs
Biceps: 14 inchs
Ass: 43 inchs
Thigh: 23 inchs

[/ QUOTE ]
How do you measure these?

[ QUOTE ]

Sat.
Squats 3x5x85
Rows 3x5x65
Military Press 3x5x65
Pull-ups 2x8x110 of assistance

[/ QUOTE ]
You are doing this in the wrong order. It goes squats always first, followed by the main upper body workout (military or bench) so you can rest your legs/core, then the back exercise, then the assistance exercise.

[ QUOTE ]
The squats were kind of dicey cuz on my left leg I instantly felt like tightness on the upper front thigh in the middle.

I was able to finish but its kinda sore..didn't feel it anywhere else so not sure if i tweaked that muscle with my prior squats. I iced it and hopefully it goes away but if not may have to take a break from the squats. Not sure how to stretch that area because the normal pull your leg behind you doesn't stretch the muscle that high up.

[/ QUOTE ]
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=640906
read part I of the article as well.

Theres a really good stretch for the exact part of your quad that you need to stretch. It's the one below the section "upper quad/hip flexor", where his back foot is up on a bench. This stretches the quad from both the knee and the hip. Another thing to work on is hamstring flexibility, because this can cause your back to round at the bottom of a squat.

Also, if you feel pain, I would just stop. Trust me (I'm an injury disguised as a human), you want to do everything you can to avoid injuries.

[ QUOTE ]
The rows were a disaster. I watched countless videos, but A even when I'm like practically parrallel to the ground...I can't reach all the way down to the bar. So I have to way way round my back to grab the weight and then pull it up. Not sure if it is cuz
A I don't have a big plate on each side which would put the bar slightly higher off the ground.
B my legs are pretty long compared to the rest of my body
C me flexablity sucks
D my form is bad or I'm doing something wrong in terms of placing the bar in relation to my feet etc.

Anyways it was really hurting my lower back so I ended up essentially doing a normal barbell row by having the weight come to a complete stop on the down portion...but it was resting mid-air bout a foot or 1/2 foot off the ground instead of resting on the ground.

[/ QUOTE ]
The problem is definitely option A.
One quick and dirty solution is to stack two sets of plates on the ground, so that you can rest the bar on it and reach it without rounding your back. If it's not already clear, the plates on the ground should go under the weight that is on the bar on each side.

I understand the problem because I had the same thing with deadlifts, power cleans and rows at first. Also, how wide are your feet? Mine are pretty wide.

[ QUOTE ]
On a sidenote I hate how [censored] thick the grip is on the pullup machine. I'd much prefer a skinnier bar where I could get a strong grip. Maybe straps would help.

[/ QUOTE ]
Avoid straps, you need grip strength. I just bought a "Captains of Crush" number 1 gripper. I can't even close it. If you are willing to spend about 25 bucks for a top quality gripper, I'd get the trainer or the number 1.

Good luck with the program. You will experience a LOT of progress.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:53 AM

Woohoo! Welcome to the Rippetoe fan club.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:33 AM

tbk,

You flex before working out and measure.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One quick and dirty solution is to stack two sets of plates on the ground, so that you can rest the bar on it and reach it without rounding your back. If it's not already clear, the plates on the ground should go under the weight that is on the bar on each side.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just used the bottom pins on an adjustable squat rack. It's only about an inch lower than the bar would be with a pair of 45s on it. I'm tempted to roll a bench in there too for my BP.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just used the bottom pins on an adjustable squat rack. It's only about an inch lower than the bar would be with a pair of 45s on it. I'm tempted to roll a bench in there too for my BP.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh yeah, that's a better solution, if the equipment is available to him.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:51 AM

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] rippetoe. my legs and core feel great nowadays, I've only been on it a couple of weeks.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:12 PM

right shoulder/shoulder blade kinda hurts during certain movements...not really muscle hurts feels more like bone hurts...not sure if its from my fed up rows or the military press

leg feels a bit better but still tight..plus when i stretch my legs really really straight feels sore as [censored] on both
Old 04-16-2007, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
tbk,

You flex before working out and measure.

[/ QUOTE ]
Does it matter where exactly you measure? Or just on the highest point?
Old 04-17-2007, 01:57 AM

tbk,

For most its highest point. Some are easier, other more difficult maybe someone with more amateur pro training can refine exact points.