Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2007, 02:40 AM

Default Definitely not small ball

Hand 1 (Wynn 5-10)

Just sat down and have ~$2400. Straddle, 4 calls, i make it $190 from the SB with AQo. Straddler calls, MP calls, Cutoff Raises to $690 (he covers me)....This bet seemed a little suspicious to me so i shoved....Thoughts?

Hand 2 (Ceasars 5-10)

UTG and UTG+1 have bet and called $100 dark respectively, folded to cutoff who makes it $400. UTG will probably only call with a big hand here. UTG+1 only has $580 total so he's likely to call. Cutoff ($2200) is a solid TAG who is probably opening with good hands but probably a wide spectrum of them. I think he'll only call my reraise with a huge hand here.

Anyway, i decide to try to pick up all the dead money or perhaps play UTG+1 hu so i rearaise to $1300 from the button with A4o. Thoughts?
Old 04-15-2007, 03:12 AM

Default Re: Definitely not small ball

lol r u on drugs? your posts aren't making sense

and i'd fold to the reraise in hand 1
Old 04-15-2007, 03:30 AM

i had a beer about an hour ago but other than that i'm sober....What doesn't make sense?

Another question....If you think these plays are -EV, how -EV do you think they are. How big of a mistake am i making
Old 04-15-2007, 03:48 AM

i like hand 1 quite a bit unless you noticed villain was exceptionally passive preflop.

in hand 2, im curious as to your range of CO. this looks like a pretty huge hand if hes certainly going to showdown. im guessing your range is something like AT+/77+? if its as wide as that i dont mind, but as it gets tighter it obviously sucks. also, do you have more behind in 2? because i assume youre calling a shove.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i like hand 1 quite a bit unless you noticed villain was exceptionally passive preflop.

in hand 2, im curious as to your range of CO. this looks like a pretty huge hand if hes certainly going to showdown. im guessing your range is something like AT+/77+? if its as wide as that i dont mind, but as it gets tighter it obviously sucks. also, do you have more behind in 2? because i assume youre calling a shove.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he shoves hand 2 it will be sick but i'll have to call (i have CO covered)....It's really hard to figure out ranges here because it's not typical that people are making $100 dark bets. I don't know if he's just trying to steal the dead money or if he woke up with a big hand....I would assume his range is AT+/KJ+/22+ but i could be wrong and it could be quite a bit narrower.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:09 AM

Hi aggie,

Hand 1 seems fine, unless they had some reason to expect you to raise from the blinds. You are basically never worse than flipping, will sometimes be up against air, and some pairs will fold.

Hand 2 seems like a very expensive mistake; CO is not stealing, since he only raised it to 400 when 2 guys have put in 100 dark. You are smoked, and only the weakest hands are folding here (77, AT), many of which would not get raised in the first place by typical live opponents.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
CO is not stealing, since he only raised it to 400 when 2 guys have put in 100 dark.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see it that way - in his spot I would raise to approximately that amount with anything I decided to raise with, including steals. Making it $400 to go and $300 more back to the dark bettors should have considerable FE as it essentially forces everyone to play for stacks. And you mention that he would be unlikely to raise with hands such as 77 and AT... but given that he is described as a solid TAG, I have a hard time believing that he would simply call with such strong hands when so much money has gone in the pot dark. It would essentially be open-limping in a super-shortstacked game. In his spot I would certainly be raising with all pairs and many high card hands.