Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2007, 11:29 PM

Default Overpair faces turn aggression

This is a live 4/8 game. The game was great, I had good position on the bad players, and am up a couple racks. But now the game isn't as good, and my position now sucks, so I'm thinking of leaving, when this hand happens...

I'm in late position with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Several limpers to me, I raise it up, the BB calls, as well as the limpers. Approximately 10 SBs.

Reads:
BB is really the only reason to be in this game. He's extremely loose, and a little bit of a loose cannon. He takes great pleasure in sucking out on better hands, and loves to stick around to catch runner-runner 2 pair, etc. He's a payoff monkey, but also throws in some bluffs just to make things interesting.

Person on my immediate right is a TAG, and is fully aware of BB's play. He's become aggressive with him with top pair, or second pair good kicker.

Flop is something like 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

BB bets, 2 folds, TAG on my right thinks and calls, I raise, BB calls, TAG calls.

Approx. 15 SBs

Turn is the T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

BB bets, TAG immediately raises, hero ... ?
Old 04-14-2007, 11:42 PM

Default Re: Overpair faces turn aggression

i would call and re-evaluate the river.

TAG could have a lot of things, especially if he's adjusting to BB: strong TP hands, a lone big [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], some combo draw (A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9x or A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Tx e.g.), or, alas, two pair or a made flush.

we're ahead of many of these hands, and when we're behind we often have a decent redraw. we're not ahead enough to 3bet and we'd like the overlay from BB calling along since he's never folding anything we want him to fold. ergo, call.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:54 PM

TAG likely has flush but may also have AdT. pot is fairly large. in either case you either have him beat or are probably drawing live.

call turn, and call most rivers (including diamonds).
Old 04-15-2007, 03:33 PM

definitely at least call. you said TAG was aware of BB's suckiness and as a result should be raising the turn with a wider range of hands.

i'm not necessarily saying i would or would not do it, but i think a reasonable argument could be made for 3betting the turn.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:31 PM

TAG may simply be trying to force you from pot to get heads up with BB with big diamond or T+good kicker. call.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:21 AM

Yeah I don't think we can get away from this given the situation. Looks like a calldown to me.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:52 PM

I don't want you to fold. If the TAG knows that you're TAG, he could be raising here since he knows that you could fold an overpair for two bets cold on the turn (especially if you held black JJ or something without a [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]).

I call and see what happens on the river. I think the TAG is trying to get it HU with the BB, so piss him off and call. I think you're ahead here a lot.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:02 PM

I like a turn 3 bet, if it is capped you can call and fold a non diamond non jack river.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:10 PM

Well, I really screwed the pooch on this one. I actually folded. As it turns out, TAG had Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], and pushed me off the best hand. BB had junk. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

As I said, my seat sucked. I really hated having him on my right. When it got back to my BB, I racked up my 2 racks of profit for the night and left.

I'm really pissed at myself for not thinking clearly enough at the time to recognize that he could be doing exactly what he did. Oh well.

-- Kevin
Old 04-16-2007, 05:17 PM

It's best having a TAG on your right though, since you can act after him and he has to respond to what you do.

His flop call kinda sucked, though.