Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2007, 07:00 AM

Default 4/8 hand from the trop

Tropicana 4/8

ILP and I are banging in the 4-8 game friday night because the pink chip game was too hard for ILP. ILP is busing playing his 12/8 game, fascinating.

I have 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in the BB.

1 player limps, 2+2er limps, ILP calls in SB, I check.

FLOP 4 handed 4sb

3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

ILP checks, I bet, 1 fold, TAG raises, ILP folds, I call

Turn HU 4BB

J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I check, Tag bets, I check raise

what do u think
Old 04-14-2007, 09:58 AM

Default Re: 4/8 hand from the trop

I'm not seeing it unless there's some read i'm missing

He has to be capable of folding a better hand here for this to work at all. Unless this is playing much diff than I remember, he isn't folding the turn and probably not on the river either. The only thing I see is you may have picked up the clubs as a bluff card on the river that could get a fold if you miss your straight. But I think you're trying too hard to be tricky.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:01 AM

Most likely he has a pair (88,77,A9,A6) and it's a small pot so he might just let it go. I typically don't pull this stuff in 4/8 games without a read...so what is this player's table history?

If he calls, what's the plan for river?
Old 04-14-2007, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not seeing it unless there's some read i'm missing

[/ QUOTE ]

(THIS IS ILP ON THEHIP41S ACCOUNT, I FORGOT TO SWITCH SCREEN NAMES....OOPS)

ckmo, I find your statement ironic, becuz against a player who is trying to play well, you actually need a very strong read NOT to checkraise a Jack-Ace turn card.

This turn check/raise should be just as standard as raising with AA's after 3 limpers and if you dont understand why this is so you need to figure out why, and once you do figure this out, you should add this play into your game immediately.

Since I was there watching this hand and I know TheHip41's game very well, I knew the instant he check/raised the turn he had BS, but theres no way the Tag could know all this and that is exactly why this turn check/raise is standard.
Old 04-14-2007, 12:28 PM

one of my buddies just pulled this crap on me yesterday. He donked 763r called my raise, then cr'd the turn on a Q.

He had the worse tell ever tho (and my favorite from Caro's book) where he just stared at me for the duration of the time I was thinking about what to do without ever breaking his gaze (so obviously a bluff) so I threw in my chip watched his reaction to my call and knew I had it atm.
Old 04-14-2007, 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
one of my buddies just pulled this crap on me yesterday. He donked 763r called my raise, then cr'd the turn on a Q.

He had the worse tell ever tho (and my favorite from Caro's book) where he just stared at me for the duration of the time I was thinking about what to do without ever breaking his gaze (so obviously a bluff) so I threw in my chip watched his reaction to my call and knew I had it atm.

[/ QUOTE ]

The same plays that are standard against "Tags trying to play well" will be large money losers against experts who know exactly what youre doing. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-14-2007, 01:11 PM

I understand the play I just dont see it as automatic in a 4/8 game. If I was in the TAGs position my BS flag would go up on the turn checkraise unless theHip had been playing really straightforward up to that point.

Maybe my problem is just that I don't see this working enough against a typical TAG in this low of a limit.
Old 04-14-2007, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I understand the play I just dont see it as automatic in a 4/8 game. If I was in the TAGs position my BS flag would go up on the turn checkraise unless theHip had been playing really straightforward up to that point.

Maybe my problem is just that I don't see this working enough against a typical TAG in this low of a limit.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a standard check raise on the turn. tags trying to play well will fold all day in this small pot.
Old 04-14-2007, 02:02 PM

lol thinly veiled brag post of my only bad laydown of the night.

got me off my favorite hand too (T9s).

the mistake made in this hand was by me of raising the flop.
Old 04-14-2007, 02:02 PM

was this against Chino?

and assuming you don't look like a maniac, it is close to standard. some TAGs are more weary of a semibluff when the turn puts up a flush draw, and that weakens the play a bit in general cause they simply call down more often. even so, given the strength our draw in this spot it is likely the best course of action against someone capable of folding a decent hand in a small pot.