Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2007, 12:23 AM

Default 200NL - C-bet on flop in these 3-bet pots?

Hand 1:
Villain is 25/15/3 over 500 , no history i can recall.

Poker Stars
No Limit Hold'em Cash Game
$1/$2 Blinds
5 Players
LegoPoker HH Converter

<font color="black">Hero (SB): $221.95</font>
BB: $202.20
UTG: $45.40
<font color="black">CO: $356</font>
BTN: $452.95

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Hero is dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (5 Players)
UTG folds, <font color="red">CO raises to $6</font>, BTN folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $24</font>, BB folds, CO calls $18

<font color="black">Flop:</font> ($50) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero ?????

Hand 2:
Villain is 29/17 over 40 or so hands, no history yet,

Poker Stars
No Limit Hold'em Cash Game
$1/$2 Blinds
6 Players
LegoPoker HH Converter

SB: $186.65
BB: $27.70
UTG: $253.25
MP: $364
<font color="black">CO: $329.10</font>
<font color="black">Hero (BTN): $193</font>

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Hero is dealt 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (6 Players)
2 folds, <font color="red">CO raises to $6</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $20</font>, 2 folds, CO calls $14

<font color="black">Flop:</font> ($43) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
CO checks, Hero ?????

I'll also throw in a general question, when we don't get a favorable flop in a 3-bet flop, on what boards and against which type of villains should we be typically c-betting against???
Old 04-14-2007, 12:25 AM

Default Re: 200NL - C-bet on flop in these 3-bet pots?

#1 I never know what to do, looking foward to responses.
#2 I bet here, villian shows weakness and no point to let a freecard come.
I bet-fold on hand #2.
Old 04-14-2007, 12:28 AM

I b/f both hands...
Old 04-14-2007, 12:31 AM

hand 1: I b/f with $30.
hand 2: usually bet, check against tricky villians
Old 04-14-2007, 12:37 AM

With the AK I believe you must bet out here, you've represented a big hand, he's either got high unpaired cards - in which case he'll give up, he's called to try and make a set on you, if he hasn't made it, which is very likely then he'll almost certainly give up. Alternatively, he is slow-playing a big pair himself, in which case he'l let you know. If you get played back at it isn't a tough hand to laydown - you have air. note - if he plays back at you with air himself, he's either a. a genius, or b. crazy - either way he deserves the pot!

The stats suggest this guy is prety loose. If you check you risk being forced to give up on the best hand - which AK will be in this spot often enough. If you're going to make this re-raise you have to commit yourself to a c-bet.

A further reason to bet out is for the sake of future hands when you have overpairs or better in this spot. If you simply check when you have failed to connect with AK and bet when you have an overpair (AA KK QQ) you will become very predictable.

Obviously this sort of hand is very dependant on the player you're up against. A lot of players won't call your p-flop bet to make a set here as it is so large, so you have to be aware of the range of hands the villain may have, in this case it appears to be fairly large, in which case I believe you need to c-bet more frequently, if not everytime.
Old 04-14-2007, 01:17 AM

I almost always lead both of these flops, but hand #1 is definitely a trickier situation being oop. I'd probably make it $35 on flop #1. Hand #2 I feel more confident leading here - it's doubtful villain checks a made hand here with all the drawiness.

As a side note, my opponent's tendencies and stats are critical to my decision. This may seem obvious, but I never lead this flop against calling stations and lead this flop less often against really tricky players. I wait for my hand to improve against a calling station, and a lot of times I'll float or even c/r a tricky player. But I'd say leading these flops is pretty standard protocol when you've represented a lot of strength pre-flop.

Last note: If I've been 3-betting a lot pre-flop lately and the table is likely to have noticed, I'll be a little less likely to lead if I miss (though if nobody's kept me honest yet, I'm probably continuing to fire away until someone slows me down).