Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2007, 10:02 PM

Default Psychology post

How does everyone fight against the disgusting boredom that is poker? Is money enough of a motivator for people in this respect?
Old 04-13-2007, 10:09 PM

Default Re: Psychology post

i honestly only play when i want to. if i feel bored and want to quit then i quit.

i suppose im lucky in that i usually want to play.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i honestly only play when i want to. if i feel bored and want to quit then i quit.

i suppose im lucky in that i usually want to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried this strategy and it resulted in me not playing for 6 months lol.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:12 PM

I don't often play when bored or tired and almost always quit when I feel I won't play well. I just can't really see how people have the mentality to plug away day in day out for 1000's of hands. There was a similar post in hsnl a while back and wondered if anyone else was disillusioned and burnt out or if its just me. Also when you set yourself certain goals in poker and then reach them its much less empowering than i thought it would be and actually has made poker a lot more boring [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 04-13-2007, 10:24 PM

i am lucky that i have a great card room within 30 minutes of me. when i am sick of online (which has been all the time of late), i play live.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:28 PM

brick and mortar brick and mortar
you get bored just strike up a conversation
old peeps have lots of interesting stories
Old 04-13-2007, 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How does everyone fight against the disgusting boredom that is poker? Is money enough of a motivator for people in this respect?

[/ QUOTE ]

Try playing some different games like stud or O8. Also when I feel bored and think I hate poker, I try to imagine getting up every morning at 6am and driving to a job I hate even worse.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:42 PM

I'm the dead opposite I find brick and mortar the absolute worst. When I turned 21 I went to vegas and played 3 months non stop everyday in the vegas 30/60 game. I learned heaps as a player and it improved my game heaps but I came home because the lifestyle was disgusting and I felt like if I kept it up living in a [censored] budget suites apartment and playing poker 8 hours a day + 3-4 online coupled with eating nothing but fast food i'd be dead by age 30. I regretted coming home afterwards and flew back in feb the next year with the intention of staying right through to the world series. I played 2 sessions at the bellagio in 3 weeks and both were under an hour. I played sick amounts a day online and have never had the urge to go back. I also go to melbourne each year for the aussie millions and end up playing less than 6 hours of actual play over the course of the tournament. Longest session I played was a 300/600 game where I was blind drunk. Even playing new games that I havent played countless hours doesnt do it for me anymore. I think its probably just a personal thing because im sickeningly lazy. I've never held a job either so the comparisons people make between actual work and poker are lost on me too.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:47 PM

Buffsta8 I am with you regarding live. I would die if I had to play live for a living.

I'm with Victor regarding playing online in general. I'm lucky that I never really hate playing. Of course I hate running bad, but overall, it's a good experience.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:59 PM

I'm interested to see what you guys love about waking up and playing everday. Like for me I spent way too much of my bankroll on investing/buying property and on the road to recovery it was super fun. Having the danger of bust kept the adrenalin running and being less financially secure meant that the pressure although intense was a motivational tool. I find that I play very mechanically and don't have many decisions to make and there are only a handful of pots each session where I feel like I should have bet river or folded or whatever and those may even be results oriented anyway. I used to be absolutely in love with checking tracker and it pissed me off when my winrate went down and i'd get a buzz out of it going up but not so much anymore. I actually really like the game too, I like posting about it and thinking about it away from the table but for some reason I don't like the nuts and bolts of it much ie actually playing. I've also tried changing sites and playing with a small cashier balance to simulate the terror of busting but I end up just racing up the limits and playing as high as I can and often bust with no real remorse.