Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2007, 04:51 PM

Default AK nearing the bubble, FTP

FTP 22k $69+6 entry

250/500 Ante 50, 100 runners left, 45 cash, started with 400

I had moved to this table 2 orbits ago and was catching good cards and connecting on many flops as well, I had shoved 3 times since getting to the table but haven't showed down a hand yet... so the table must think I am crazy. Villain is Ngala who was a good player at PartyPoker but I'm not even sure if its the same guy. Hes been fairly active as well but hasn't gotten to showdown either.

Seat 1: rc hoop (11,060)
Seat 2: Subrabantan (14,445)
Seat 3: Ardie1948 (12,890)
Seat 4: zarfran (3,277)
Seat 5: donkey_kong0 (6,420)
Seat 6: hero (13,170)
Seat 7: ozzie63 (11,525)
Seat 8: ngala (17,865)
Seat 9: Bruksta (7,845)
Dealt to hero A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
folds to hero on button, hero raises to 1,300
sb folds, vilain calls 800
*** FLOP *** 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
bb bets 1,500
hero calls 1,500
*** TURN *** 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
villain bets 3,000

hero raises to 10,320, and is all in
villain calls 7,320

I guess I'm looking for a line check, in my experience when the blinds lead into me like this they are not strong at all... any comments would be appreciated,

thanks in advance
Old 04-13-2007, 05:46 PM

Default Re: AK nearing the bubble, FTP

Why did you make the smaller PFR? Hoping someone would play back at you? I'd make it the full 3xBB PF (1500).

Anyhow, I think the flop call is fine. I'd probably just give up on the turn though. I suppose arguments could be made for floating again on the turn. He's getting pretty good odds to call your turn shove if he has what is likely a PP IMO.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:05 PM

I made that raise because I've seen so much lately about when the antes kick in to cut down the opening raise to 2.5X the bb, the reasoning is because at that point in the tourney stacks are so shallow that it serves the same purpose, right? Is this too early on to cut down the opening raise?
Old 04-13-2007, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I made that raise because I've seen so much lately about when the antes kick in to cut down the opening raise to 2.5X the bb, the reasoning is because at that point in the tourney stacks are so shallow that it serves the same purpose, right? Is this too early on to cut down the opening raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

I do cut down on my opening raises later in the MTT when stacks are shallow. But I don't make the decision to do so b/c antes are in play. If your opponents have any clue at all, they should be calling 2.5xBB raises more often w/antes in play (not less) b/c they will be getting great odds.

Against (or with) shallower stacks later on, (usually after the antes kick in) I think raising less than 3xBB is fine. When the antes first start however, there are probably good reasons to be raising MORE than 3xBB.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:10 PM

I would also be making my standard 3xBB raise pre-flop here but if this is your standard raise then doing it with AK might be the right thing.

Sherman,

You think the flop call is fine, but i'm interested in knowing why? I was thinking that any 6,9 or pocket pair leads most turns as well. Even hands that are behind us that lead this flop trying to push us off our AK like hands can presumably double barrel 30-40% (i'm not sure about this percentage) of the time here. I just wasn't thinking call that's all. If you call you're either looking for 6 outs or for villian to shut down. To me the flop was a raise or fold deal.

As played I also shut down after turn. If you're going to push wouldn't it have been better to push at the flop?
Old 04-13-2007, 06:14 PM

I just misread the hand, I apologize. I think you need to raise or fold on the flop.

One other thing to consider. Since you have a "crazy" image why not open shove from button or make a 7xBB raise? You may induce a call from AJ or a reraise all in from the blinds.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I do cut down on my opening raises later in the MTT when stacks are shallow. But I don't make the decision to do so b/c antes are in play. If your opponents have any clue at all, they should be calling 2.5xBB raises more often w/antes in play (not less) b/c they will be getting great odds.

Against (or with) shallower stacks later on, (usually after the antes kick in) I think raising less than 3xBB is fine. When the antes first start however, there are probably good reasons to be raising MORE than 3xBB.

[/ QUOTE ]

nice post, this was very helpful
Old 04-13-2007, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I fold to his lead bet but I think you should have made a stronger bet on the flop, maybe 2100-2300. I think this sells your hand more as an overpair as well as defines how strong his hand is. 1500 into that pot on that board smells weak to me and allows him to lead bluff a scare card on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Villian lead flop, Hero called. Villian also lead turn.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:39 PM

I don't like calling the flop here. I'm raise or fold in this situation.

However, raising to something like 4000 is going to eat a third of our stack. I'm probably about 30% raising to 4000 and 60% folding and 10% calling.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:58 PM

really? we have AK way ahead of his range and most of the time you're gonna let him take it with a small bet on the flop? Why would he bet into us with a 6 here? I could see a 9 or another pp. Do you fold the flop because of hero's image, since theres a good chance he will look us up with some smaller pairs and 9s?