Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2007, 01:24 PM

Default Live 1/5 w/ .50 cent ante ?

Anyone have any experience playing in this game ? What's the best strategy for 3rd street play ?
Is it a significantly better game than 1/5 no ante, considering each game having a rake of $4 + $1 jackpot drop ?
Old 04-13-2007, 03:52 PM

Default Re: Live 1/5 w/ .50 cent ante ?

I played a lot of 1-5 spread Stud w/ a $.25 ante in Tunica this past January. I found it to be a pretty decent game, action-wise, and would liken it to a typical $.50/1 structured Stud game at PS or FTP in terms of action, with probably 35-40% seeing 4th street, and a reasonable amount of loose-passive play.

As far as betting goes, I play these games as if they are 3/5 structured games, with a $1 bring-in, and this seems to work pretty effectively insofar as getting opponents to fold when you want them to and to stay in the pot when you want them to.

If Brad is lurking, he can offer more comments as he plays in this game regularly at the Horseshoe in Tunica.
Old 04-13-2007, 03:58 PM

BTW, my mistake. This game doesn't take $1 for a BBJ. Just the standard 10%/$4.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:03 PM

I used to play a lot of 1/5 in AC before I moved up to 5/10, and started playing hold'em. 90% of the time if you bet $5 or $6 on 3rd street you won't get any callers. Betting $3 is smart considering the passive nature of 1/5 players in general.

I'm assuming that with a .50 cent ante, there'd be more loose calls on 3rd street, especially if there's no raise.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I played a lot of 1-5 spread Stud w/ a $.25 ante in Tunica this past January. I found it to be a pretty decent game, action-wise, and would liken it to a typical $.50/1 structured Stud game at PS or FTP in terms of action, with probably 35-40% seeing 4th street, and a reasonable amount of loose-passive play.

As far as betting goes, I play these games as if they are 3/5 structured games, with a $1 bring-in, and this seems to work pretty effectively insofar as getting opponents to fold when you want them to and to stay in the pot when you want them to.

If Brad is lurking, he can offer more comments as he plays in this game regularly at the Horseshoe in Tunica.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'm around Wahoo... [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Usually, a 1-5 game is pretty rocky & full of pensioners. Hand selection for them is mediocre at best. If one of them goes to war with you...WATCH OUT. Third street aggression usually will kill the game...I hate to say that but it will. You'll get more action with a big hand like rolled trips if you only bet $3 instead of $5. Everybody at the table will call you. Bet $5 in this spot, you win a coupla quarters. Some don't even like an ante. If they make 2 small pair against your flush/str8/etc, you'll get paid off as long as you don't push too hard.

But if you can find a game where they don't mind putting $$$ in the pot, play TAG poker & you'll come out a winner at the end of the night. Playing this game is about playing small ball poker. Try to run over them & you'll get almost no action unless its from a monster. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-14-2007, 01:51 AM

I played this at Foxwoods once or twice and it was a pretty good game, actually. $1-5 with no ante is usually terrible.