Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2007, 12:59 PM

Default Going to China...

I am graduating from college in May and am ready to take the plunge into pro poker/travling the world.

I just bought a one-way ticket to Beijing on May 21st. Visa's are good for 6 months and I plan to live there for 2-6 months, depending on how much I like it. I'm not sure where I'll go after China- I'm thinking Mongolia or Phuket-depending on how poker is going, etc.

I think, ideally, it would be awesome to live with another poker player so that we could motivate and learn from each other about poker. More imporantly though, poker allows the freedom to take trips on a whim, go party like crazy without having to worry about getting up the next morning and pretty much do anything. With that said, I am not looking to hole up in an apartment and play poker 100+ hours a month. I want to play only as much as I have to and enjoy the freedom it will allow.

If you are interested, you can aim me at FATUBER or email me at rmartin@willamette.edu.

Thanks for reading.
Ricky
Old 04-13-2007, 04:20 PM

Default Re: Going to China...

[ QUOTE ]

I think, ideally, it would be awesome to live with another poker player so that we could motivate and learn from each other about poker. More imporantly though, poker allows the freedom to take trips on a whim, go party like crazy without having to worry about getting up the next morning and pretty much do anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just leave yourself enough money to buy your return ticket in 2 weeks when you are completely broke.

Bon voyage!
Old 04-14-2007, 05:47 AM

Language skillz?

... balla poker money wont help you if you have no idea what to do with respect to the language or culture; the learning curve is rough.

Also I dont know much about China's poker scene beyond the basic legal issues. That would be worthwhile for you to research.
Old 04-14-2007, 02:58 PM

Pretty negative responses.

I've been to Asia several times before for a total of about 8 months of my life. I like it a lot there and feel like I have a handle on culture already. Language, of course, will be much harder- especially in China but for the first month I have a friend who I am staying with and she speaks Chinese and promises to translate/tour guide me around.

As for money, I'm a cheap guy. I don't plan on living the Balla lifestyle. I've got 10k saved up right now which at a minimum will last me 5 months. If I get bored and poor, I don't think it will be hard to get a teaching job.

And shoot, maybe I'll hate it and be back in a month, who knows. The offer is still open btw.