Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2007, 11:57 AM

Default Is my overpair any good?

Live charity MTT - about 60 players started with prizes awarded to all players at the FT, 3 of which are satellite seats to fairly decent live events. t7500 starting stacks assuming players took the rebuy and add-on offered. Most of the starting field is still in with maybe one or two people having been knocked out so far.

The villain in this hand is an older guy who I spent time talking with before the tournament started. He's a retiree from Arizona who used to play live spread limit games there 4-5 times a week until he moved to Florida. Prior to the hand in question I had seen him make some rather outrageous plays at the pot and then fold leaving himself nearly nothing behind in chips.

Here's the hand:

Blinds 150/300

Hero t7000
Villain t10000
Loose old guy t6500

Loose older guy who is directly to my right min-raises to 600. I've seen him do this with hands as bad as 95s and he clearly has no idea what hands are really valued at.

I look down at JJ and reraise to 2k. Villain to my immediate left calls as does the loose old guy. Pot is 6450 going to the flop.

Flop: 932r

Loose old guy checks to me, I bet 2k and villain on my left moves all in. Loose old guy to my right folds.

Hero does what?

What range of hands do you put the villain on?
Old 04-13-2007, 12:17 PM

Default Re: Is my overpair any good?

Villain could have anything and you have to call here due to pot odds.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:19 PM

If Villain has made a variety of outrageous plays, I'm pretty sure he could have 9x or 88-44 here and think it's good. Not sure you can fold this.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:21 PM

call
Old 04-13-2007, 12:33 PM

I don't see how you can fold on that flop with less than a psb remaining. I think you should just shove the flop the first time for 5k. I don't see the point of making a 2k bet.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:57 PM

You're getting almost 4.5 to 1 on the call and your better than that against whatever reasonable range you can assign villian. Especially after your read this is an easy call.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're getting almost 4.5 to 1 on the call and your better than that against whatever reasonable range you can assign villian. Especially after your read this is an easy call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please describe what you would consider a reasonable range for villain after cold-calling 2k preflop and then moving over the top of me when I lead into this dry flop. Remember there's a huge difference between him leading at a flop or turn and folding to a raise (as he did in prior hands, one leaving him with under 1k in chips after which he rebought) versus making an all-in raise against a strong player who is, apparently, pot-committed.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:00 PM

Hmmm....I don't put villian on AA,KK because I would expect more pre-flop action. That's not to say it isn't so. 88-QQ, A9, and 22, 33 for a set is reasonable to me. I think air is also possible so let's just have that frequency cancel out AA,KK (whether or not that percentage is accurate is arguable I know).

Pokerstove

equity win tie pots won pots tied
Hand 0: 51.108% 49.64% 01.47% 16708 495.00 { JcJd }
Hand 1: 48.892% 47.42% 01.47% 15962 495.00 { QQ-88, 33-22, A9s, K9s }

I was thinking this so let me know what you think.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:17 PM

Your range seems pretty decent, rather close to the range I assigned at the time except I didn't include A9 or K9. I was pretty sure he didn't have AA/KK and he wasn't bluffing with a missed AK or a draw since there really weren't any drawing hands I could think of that would call preflop and then hit this flop.

I led for 2k into this pot because I felt that if my hand was best it would induce two folds and if I was behind one of the two would tell me by raising. With the absence of draws I didn't really have to deny drawing odds to anyone. I figured that if I tossed in my remaining 5k here I would only get called by hands I was behind.

I led for 2k, villain pushed, loose old guy folded and I thought for a really long time. The table wasn't happy with me for how long I was taking ... to finally fold.

Villain showed me 99 for a flopped top set. I really figured he either had a set or a bigger pair than me. I didn't think he would make this play with a pair of 7s or 8s.

I told him after he busted from the FT in 8th that I folded two jacks on that flop. His jaw hit the floor.

This was the key hand of the tournament for me, in my opinion.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:37 PM

Then that is a smoking great laydown.

But something I'm really trying to work on is establishing a range for villian and play it accordingly. In this case he was ahead, in many similar cases he won't be and I think this is where we can profit. We are ahead of his range and getting more than 4:1 to call. Under these circumstances you can't laydown very often and profit.

This theory can sometimes be cloudy to me, maybe someone else can put it better. As I said your laydown proved to be a great one at the time but mathematically it really isn't. I'm not trying to be harsh at all just sharing what I think is right.