Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2007, 06:24 AM

Default taking care of the floor...

I guess this is mostly for local pro's...I play in vegas and there are plenty of good floor people that i like to take care of. I guess my question is when should i tip them?

Usually on a semi-random basis i'll give a floor guy a $10 chip or something but is usually feels a little awkward (they're greatful but they seem not to know why i'm tipping them)....Also, i don't like to tip them when they do something nice for me because i don't want them to feel like it's a bribe...So i guess my question is when to tip them and not whether to tip them...Same question goes for some board girls who take good care of me.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:39 AM

Default Re: taking care of the floor...

They're probably looking at you strangely because at most establishments, the floor already gets a percentage of the dealer's tips.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:41 AM

lol
Old 04-13-2007, 07:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They're probably looking at you strangely because at most establishments, the floor already gets a percentage of the dealer's tips.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a big deal when Wynn announced they were going to start doing this. Sharing tips with the floor is generally not the practice.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This was the case in Connecticut where i used to live and floor people were not allowed to accept tips. As far as i know this is not the case in Vegas and floor people are definitely allowed to accept tips.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a big deal when Wynn announced they were going to start doing this. Sharing tips with the floor is generally not the practice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Intersting, i didn't know they did this anywhere...Anybody know which places do and don't share dealer tips with the floor. I was always under the understanding that floor worked on salary.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess this is mostly for local pro's...I play in vegas and there are plenty of good floor people that i like to take care of. I guess my question is when should i tip them?

Usually on a semi-random basis i'll give a floor guy a $10 chip or something but is usually feels a little awkward (they're greatful but they seem not to know why i'm tipping them)....Also, i don't like to tip them when they do something nice for me because i don't want them to feel like it's a bribe...So i guess my question is when to tip them and not whether to tip them...Same question goes for some board girls who take good care of me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Taking care of the board girls is an absolute must!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 04-13-2007, 09:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Taking care of the board girls is an absolute must!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure if this is sarcastic or not but it certainly helps when the list is long [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-13-2007, 10:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, i don't like to tip them when they do something nice for me because i don't want them to feel like it's a bribe...

[/ QUOTE ]

That part makes no sense. Then why are you tipping them? The word "bribe" adds a negative taint, but you are tipping to get good service/favors/comps/etc. In fact, the only time I consistently tip the floor is when they do something nice for me. Last time I was at the Wynn, the floor bumped up my comp so that I could get the meal I wanted even though I didn't have the required hours. Probably a favor worth about $15-$20. I don't know when I will be back in Vegas, but I was sure to give him a red bird when I got back from dinner.

There is no problem with quid pro quo with the floor.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure if this is sarcastic or not but it certainly helps when the list is long [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sarcastic at all. When the list is 30 players deep, especially during large tourney time, for the fishiest games...those tips are worth the investment.

But...when you've been there all of 5 min & you get called for a seat, you have to learn to hollywood a little bit (AW, FINALLY!!! w/disgusted look) for those who have been waiting 2 hours. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]