Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2007, 01:02 AM

Default HU Against CS, should I check turn for free card or keep betting?

Semi-loose, 9 handed game, limit omaha 8, 2-4. villain is a complete calling station.

Folded to me in late, early position, I limp with AsJsQs9d

everyone folds to big blind who raps pat.

Flop is Ks4dTs giving me a rap straight draw and the nut flush draw. Here’s the line I took.

Check, bet. Turn was 6d.
Check, bet. River was 2 of hearts missing me
check, bet

Should I have checked the turn for a free card? Was there enough value in my hand to bet the turn and if I miss, bet the river, even against a complete calling station? Pot was small, so I'm wondering if just checking turn and folding river would have been best. Or checking turn and maybe desparation bluffing river if checked to.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:21 AM

Default Re: HU Against CS, should I check turn for free card or keep betting?

If you're playing HU w/somebody totally passive who calls every bet, why would you ever bet before you made your hand, even if you're drawing to more than half the deck?
Old 04-12-2007, 10:02 AM

why would you ever bet before you made your hand

You would obviously still want to bet if your outs gave you more than 50% pot equity. Which would make the flop bet here correct since hero has a monster combo wrap.
I would normally check/call turn and check/fold the river here against average/passive opponents. But against good players who tend to generally make correct decisions on the turn I think you should bet here most or all of the time, since they might fold here and in any case will have more difficulty making correct folds on other hands if you bet this one too.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:15 PM

The bet on the flop is almost certainly correct since you are a favorite over everything but perfect 4 card ball busters like Kd Kc Qd Jc (that hand is still only a 3 to 2 favorite).

I would probably check the turn.

I would probably not bluff that river card. He called you with something and if he picked up any kind of low he is calling on the end and probably scooping.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:29 PM

This hand must have been quite out of the ordinary if it was a semi loose 9 handed game where you limped and everyone else folded. Raise preflop.
Change the 9 to an 8 and I think its a definite bet on the turn, as it is I think its a check because you get two bets in on the river more often when you've checked the turn and hit, you avoid getting checkraised when the turn has opened up a lot of draws you don't have, and you avoid voluntarily putting money into the pot with A high and one to come against someone you characterise as a complete calling station. An added convenience to your hand is that you will in the vast majority of cases either make the nuts or miss, so its not like betting the turn simplifies your river decision because you will rarely have one.