Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2007, 11:38 PM

Default Q about Moneybookers\' gambling vs. non-gambling checkboxes (canadian)

So when I signed up for my MB account and tried to register a CC, it asked whether money i uploaded from the card was going to be used for:
#1 gambling or,
#2 non-gambling purposes.

Thinking that i wouldn't be able to fund gaming accounts with the money i uploaded if i selected #2, I chose #1 -- not surprisingly, this resulted in my CC being rejected (note that even tho i'm canadian, this was a US credit card)

So I wanted to register a DIFFERENT CC (a Canadian one this time), and obviously am going to pick #2 this time, but I want to know: if I tell them that i'm only going to used funds uploaded from that CC for NON-gambling purposes, will it actually PREVENT me from so doing? Or is that checkbox just a legal / cover-your-a$$ thing for MB? (e.g. will I still be able to use funds uploaded from that CC for gambling purposes even if i selected the checkbox that said I wasn't going to?)
Old 04-12-2007, 12:31 AM

Default Re: Q about Moneybookers\' gambling vs. non-gambling checkboxes (canadi

check #1
It's somewhere in Bobo Fett's long Cdn e-wallet thread.
A LOT of info there.
Your card got rejected by the issuer.
American card, eh? not my first choice.

Note that some Cdn cards get rejected too.

Rainbow...
Old 04-12-2007, 12:43 AM

Default Re: Q about Moneybookers\' gambling vs. non-gambling checkboxes (canadian)

I'm pretty sure it said right on the MB screen that if you check #2, they will NOT allow you to use it for gaming sites.

That being said, I haven't heard either way from anyone who has tried #2. I don't recommend it, but if you do, let us know how it turns out. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-12-2007, 01:42 AM

Default Re: Q about Moneybookers\' gambling vs. non-gambling checkboxes (canadian)

I checked #1 and used a CIBC VISA, and it went through as a purchase with no problems.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I checked #1 and used a CIBC VISA, and it went through as a purchase with no problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did it get charged as a cash advance or just a regular charge?
Old 04-12-2007, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure it said right on the MB screen that if you check #2, they will NOT allow you to use it for gaming sites.

That being said, I haven't heard either way from anyone who has tried #2. I don't recommend it, but if you do, let us know how it turns out. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, let me ask u this then: if I check #2 (e.g. NON-gambling purpose), does it just not let you transfer funds deposited with that credit card to poker sites? Or does it designate my entire MB account as a non-gambling one (which would be disastrous, of course), and void ALL transactions to poker sites, even if they were funds that did not come from my credit card (e.g. maybe they got into my MB acct b/c i cashed OUT of a poker site, and then i want to re-deposit them)
Old 04-12-2007, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, let me ask u this then: if I check #2 (e.g. NON-gambling purpose), does it just not let you transfer funds deposited with that credit card to poker sites? Or does it designate my entire MB account as a non-gambling one (which would be disastrous, of course), and void ALL transactions to poker sites, even if they were funds that did not come from my credit card (e.g. maybe they got into my MB acct b/c i cashed OUT of a poker site, and then i want to re-deposit them)

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that's a good question. I think I recall it saying just those funds in particular, but that seems a little ridiculous. How do they track that? Or if you deposited $100 that way, for example, would they just make $100 of your account not usable for gaming forever? Or maybe until you had withdrawn at least $100 from MB?

I'm really not sure...I'd suggest using their messaging center. Unfortunately, replies from there often take days. Or you could buck up and phone them...but only during Euro business hours.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that's a good question. I think I recall it saying just those funds in particular, but that seems a little ridiculous. How do they track that? Or if you deposited $100 that way, for example, would they just make $100 of your account not usable for gaming forever? Or maybe until you had withdrawn at least $100 from MB?

I'm really not sure...I'd suggest using their messaging center. Unfortunately, replies from there often take days. Or you could buck up and phone them...but only during Euro business hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly -- seems like they would have to have a pretty established method to differentiate funds deposited via the CC you designated as NON-gambling, and other funds; like a first-in-first-out or last-in-first-out or something along those lines.

This is just an unsubstantiated hunch, but it just doesn't seem like likely to me; then again, the alternative is just as absurd: e.g. my whole account's going to be non-gaming simply b/c i designated that CC as non-gaming? doesn't make sense, b/c it seems like they would have asked that Q at the very outset. i.e. "do u intend to use this account for gaming/nongaming, etc. etc"
Old 04-12-2007, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
exactly -- seems like they would have to have a pretty established method to differentiate funds deposited via the CC you designated as NON-gambling, and other funds; like a first-in-first-out or last-in-first-out or something along those lines.

This is just an unsubstantiated hunch, but it just doesn't seem like likely to me; then again, the alternative is just as absurd: e.g. my whole account's going to be non-gaming simply b/c i designated that CC as non-gaming? doesn't make sense, b/c it seems like they would have asked that Q at the very outset. i.e. "do u intend to use this account for gaming/nongaming, etc. etc"

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, really, NONE of the options makes enough sense for me to be confident of which one they would use. I was fortunate enough that I chose option #1 with my CIBC Visa, and had no problem. Painful though it sounds, you might need to contact MB...I assume you've thoroughly scoured their website for answers.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:31 PM

I checked my CIBC VISA online statement, and mine went through okay, but they charged it as a cash advance and took a $5 cash advance fee (plus interest, of course). I phoned to complain, since it was only a US$2.14 charge that Moneybookers placed, and I told them it was a fee for setting up an account and not a real cash advance, but they said that this merchant was designated as an online gambing merchant, and that any and all charges, no matter what amount, has to be deemed as a cash advance. FYI, I checked option #1 -- funds to be used for gambling purposes.