Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2007, 09:49 PM

Default opinion

JUst need an opinion, not sure if I'm getting overly picky or not.
At our home game, there would be two of us that are really strong players the rest are not really strong players. When the betting is done and time to show cards the other strong player will if required to show first, he will just stare at the other player in which case the other player shows his cards then the strong player mucks his.

And in other cases the strong player just flashes one card to show he had a better hand.

Now, in both cases I have ask him to show his cards and he does, problem is I'm the only one ever asking and I get tired of asking looking like the guy complaining.

Do I continue asking?
Old 04-11-2007, 10:50 PM

Default Re: opinion

I think it is up to the other players to ask. Especially if you're not in the hand, I would find this really annoying (I think it is more of an exploitation of a weakness, rather than an angle).

If the other players are newbies, maybe you should make a one-time announcement that players must show in order and explain the reasons why. If they still don't do it, then too bad.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:02 PM

I'm not clear on the wording of the question as written, but here's a little that should help.

Just have the person first to act show first if they want ny claim to a pot, makes it easy. It's not usually that big a deal, but if this other guy never wants to show first even when he should, then he's the one being kind of a nit.

Edit: As I read it I thought you were referring to hands between the two of you. If you're not in a hand I'd leave it be, although the first time he did it to me I'd say something to address it. Say, "You've been making these guys show first when you're supposed to and I stayed out of it, but come on already..."

Otherwise, hey, if they're your friends you could find a tact way to bring it to theor attention later if they don't know better, but really they might not care in the first place.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:21 PM

Don't see anything wrong with you telling the guy to show, whether you're in the hand or not. The last guy to bet should show first, it's that simple. Not showing first takes up time that could be used to play hands. So if there's an annoying pussy stare-fest going on while I'm at the table I'll tell the guy who should show to show. The only reason he wouldn't is because he was bluffing usually, and I love to see the embarassment when people get caught bluffing. Makes my day, week and month.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:09 AM

So as i understand it your complaint is that you want to be a disck but you don't want to look like a dick.

Let me suggest that you work on not being a dick. Not looking like one will come from that.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:12 AM

I don't see how he is being a dick by asking that the person who should show down first does.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see how he is being a dick by asking that the person who should show down first does.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its being a dick to constantly ask to see cards that a player is mucking. Whiing about the order that players show there cards is being a dick. If he is in the hand and wants to wait until the player who should show first does . .. well thats one thing. But complaining that another player showed first is just annoying and slows down the game.

Here is my general rule of thumb. If you think you have the winner... show them. Don't waste eveyone's time .. show the winner and move on to the next hand.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:29 AM

Everyone has a right to see what the player was betting with. The actual RULE'S rule of thumb is the last player to show aggression on 5th street shows first. We don't all have a "psandman's rule book" around for a reason. If I'm not in a hand, and the player who called the bet shows first, ESPECIALLY when the opponent is someone I'm unfamiliar with, I get pretty pissed off. That's valuable information I'm missing out on because the guy didn't let the other guy show first.

Now, if I'm in the hand, and I call a bet, and the player motions to me, or says "you got it" then no, I don't ask him to flip his cards, I know he is bluffing. But if not, i want to see what he bet at me on the river with.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So as i understand it your complaint is that you want to be a disck but you don't want to look like a dick.

Let me suggest that you work on not being a dick. Not looking like one will come from that.

[/ QUOTE ]
Now that's funny.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:04 PM

What part of all this is really bothering you?