Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2007, 05:42 PM

Default Multi Way two pair(NL50)

I found this hand to be hard to play. I know I probably should have potted the flop but my I'm more confused about what my turn and river play should be. After I get some comments on the turn I'll post the river action and give some reads on villains.

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Hold'em Cash Game
$0.25/$0.50 Blinds
6 Players
LegoPoker HH Converter

<font color="black">SB: $80.10</font>
<font color="black">BB: $50</font>
<font color="black">Hero (UTG): $50</font>
<font color="black">MP: $61.35</font>
<font color="black">CO: $51.05</font>
<font color="black">BTN: $50</font>

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Hero is dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (6 Players)
<font color="red">Hero raises to $1</font>, MP calls $1, CO calls $1, BTN calls $1, SB calls $0.75, BB calls $0.50

<font color="black">Flop:</font> ($6) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (6 Players)
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $4</font>, MP folds, CO calls $4, BTN calls $4, SB calls $4, BB folds

<font color="black">Turn:</font> ($22) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (4 Players)
SB checks, <font color="red">Hero ??</font>

I'm in a situation now against 4 opponents all of whom can anything from a bare ace, a better two pair, set, or flush draw.

I want to charge the draws but I also don't want to build a big pot when I may be behind.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:44 PM

Default Re: Multi Way two pair(NL50)

$15 turn.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:49 PM

The check call from the sb looks like a flush draw, as I don't think he would slow play anything bigger. Maybe not set but really unlikely. I bet out here and see where you're at, i doubt people are going to be cold calling a second bet with a flush draw so bet out and see where you're at. AJ is a definite possibility so you need to decide how far you want to go with the hand. I might make the bet more than 15 to kill any drawing odds that might arise from more cold calls from the Cutoff and button.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:53 PM

PF: I'd fold this hand from UTG and never minraise - that's part of the reason you're up against so many hands.

Pot the flop - it is a bit wet against many opponents.

As played, I agree $15-$18 bet on the turn.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PF: I'd fold this hand from UTG and never minraise - that's part of the reason you're up against so many hands.

Pot the flop - it is a bit wet against many opponents.

As played, I agree $15-$18 bet on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I accomplished exactly what I wanted to do with that pf raise. I built up a big pot with a hand that plays well multiway. I was obviously hoping to flop a flush draw but I liked this flop too. I said in my original post that I agree potting the flop would have been a much better option and I possibly could have gotten 1 or 2 more of them to fold.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:39 PM

Wow, can't believe I missed the raise PF. Wtf are you doing? Fold. lol @ minraising your drawing hands, wtf?
Old 04-11-2007, 07:11 PM

raise to 2 bucks pre or fold. idc which. minraising is stupid. my standard is to make a normal raise but i dont mind a fold at all.

pot the flop and pot the turn as played.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, can't believe I missed the raise PF. Wtf are you doing? Fold. lol @ minraising your drawing hands, wtf?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
raise to 2 bucks pre or fold. idc which. minraising is stupid. my standard is to make a normal raise but i dont mind a fold at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

pot the flop and pot the turn as played.

From NLHTAP:

"Concept No. 29: It's ok to make small raises (2-3x the bib blind) to build the pot or to set up future plays.

For some reason, making small raises has acquired a stigma in the no limit community. By small raises, we mean the minimum raise(to twice the big blind) or slightly larger.

While there are right and wrong times to make any play, there's nothing inherently bad about making a small raise.
Often you should make this sort of raise with "brave" hands - poketpairs, suited connectors, and suited aces - hands that play well after the flop. The goal is to turn your $5-$10 game (or whatever limit you're playing) into a $10-$20 or $15-$30 game for this hand only.
If thats what you want, Don't let any know it all tell you that its a bad play. Min-raise anyway. "

A5s is a hand that I want to see the flop with. If I just limp chances are I will face a raise of 3-5x the bb. A min raise can sometimes stop that raise and let me see the flop cheaper. I also do exactly what sklansky says and elevate the stakes of the game which is what I want to do. If I hit my flush I am now much more likely to get paid off and when I do get paid off it will be for more.

Before I read NLHTAP I never min raised pf simply because it had acquired that stigma of being a donkish play even though I could never find out what was wrong with doing it in certain situations. I don't do it every single time I have a hand like Axs, probably more like 1/20 times. The dynamics of this table made me think it would be a good play and it accomplished what I wanted it too.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:47 PM

Got to bet the turn, $12 + $17
Old 04-11-2007, 07:49 PM

minraising drawing hands = bad. do you need us to explain why?