Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2007, 02:30 PM

Default Within the Rules or goofball move???

I play a lot of poker with a bunch of guys in my area at our local bar.
$1/$2 NL 8 handed game last night and this hand occured.
We had two 8 handed tables going last night and I got stuck on the table without the deep pockets. There was roughly $1k on my table and roughly $4k on the other table.

I would just like to point out that these guys aren't very good. They provide a very nice 2nd income for me... although they think they are good. The other guy in question is the kind of player who calls 8x the BB with J,3 because it's suited.

He hammered me once when I reraised a raised raise preflop and he called. I had rockets and he had J,8 of diamonds and he rivered the flush. He called $120 preflop with J,8 because it was suited. These are the kinds of players I play with every week.

Finally to the hand last night.

I have 3,4os. I call the $2 as does 4 other players. Flop is 10,4,4 rainbow. Villain bets $5 and I call and everyone else folds. The turn brings the case 4. He checks and I check behind him.

The river is a 3. He bets $5 and as I push my stack over the line, I say "well, it's probably a split pot".. I know he has the 10 and he's one of those guys who can't fold here. He's not the type of guy you make a value bet on here.

He goes into the tank for a while. I don't say too much. This surprised me because I figured him for a instacall.

This is where I'm not sure how koshur this is.
I put my 3 to the front of my cards and don't say anything.
I pretend to grab something on the other side of the table and continuously flash my 3 to him... but I'm doing this on purpose. He thinks I'm doing this by accident. I could see him trying to look down at my cards from the corner of his eye, so I look the other way and show my 3 a little more...

He finally calls and flips the 10. I show quads and he says "[censored]" and leaves.

His fault for trying to peek? Or did I angle shoot his ass?
Or is this all part of the game?

Thoughts?

Thanks
Old 04-11-2007, 02:33 PM

Default Re: Within the Rules or goofball move???

Depends on the rules.

Seems to me you're being stupid, as in penny-wise, pound-foolish. If the game is as soft as you say it is, why intro these kinds of moves and antagonize people?
Old 04-11-2007, 02:59 PM

true enough I suppose... but I still never said that I was showing on purpose. So for all he knows, I was showing that card by accident... so therefore, I wasn't showing a move or antagonizing anyone. I also figured at the same time, it serves him right for trying to peek at my cards.. no?
Old 04-11-2007, 03:00 PM

dick-ish move
Old 04-11-2007, 03:17 PM

what's more dick-ish then? Me purposefully showing my cards or him sneakingly gawking. Equally dick-ish?
Keep in mind, I never rubbed it in his face and said I did what I did... I was quiet about it. I think he would have called anyway and I'm not 100% sure he even saw my card.... but my intent was there nonetheless.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what's more dick-ish then? Me purposefully showing my cards or him sneakingly gawking. Equally dick-ish?
Keep in mind, I never rubbed it in his face and said I did what I did... I was quiet about it. I think he would have called anyway and I'm not 100% sure he even saw my card.... but my intent was there nonetheless.

[/ QUOTE ]

You showing your cards is more dick-ish because you wanted him to look.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:37 PM

It's like 90% of an angle-shoot and certainly dick-ish, imo.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:41 PM

If you wear a low-cut dress, people are going to be drawn to your cleavage, so don't fault him from glancing as you flashed. I find the "it's probably a split pot" comment to be more dickish than the card thing, considering the crowd.

As Larry said, what's your long-term EV here? Certainly you could have gotten plenty from him with turn and river betting, and more from everyone long-term?

I see poker as a game of psychological tangles, deception and misdirection. Not "ha, got yer nose!"

(Or what's that stupid thing where you hold your fingers in a ring on your leg and punch people for looking at it? Any sixth grade bullies here?)
Old 04-11-2007, 11:27 PM

His move was certainly involving psychological tangles, deception and misdirection.

I love it. Don't see anything dickish. It's a cash game, you can show your cards, card, whatever. You said what you had to say to get the guys money in the pot. If he couldn't figure out what you were doing, then he deserved to lose it. I like the move.

With that said: Him looking at the card you are exposing is in no way dickish at all. Ever. Perfectly fine.

I get the feeling I'm in the minority regarding it being a fine move, so maybe you should reconsider it. But I view poker just the way Barry Greenstein does, the good players are predators.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:28 AM

I know it sounds clever and tricky, but this is just a dick move for kids and angle shooters, and it's bad for the game. Here you're playing in a supposedly soft 1/2 bar game, do you really need to play this way? Do you think the guy walking out of the bar had a good time?

I don't think this is the kind of predatory behavior Barry G was referring to, he's talking about hunting after weaker players, not angle-shooting them with bush-league sucker tactics.

BTW - this is not a new trick, I think this is even mentioned in Caro's book IIRC.