Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2006, 04:11 PM

Default mixed game structure

HI,

Sometimes some friends and I decided to play a mixed game instead of NL holdem. We went with "SHORT" -- stud high, Holdem high, Omaha high, razz, and triple-draw lowball, both to avoid split-pot games and to have an easy acronym to remember the order [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. Is it reasonable to play all of these games pot-limit? We go with 1c/2c blinds in the blind games and 1c/2c ante/bringin in the stud games (once due to chip considerations went with a "dealer ante" of 5c and a bringin of 2c instead). The buyin is $5, and players may rebuy. We like moving randomly, so the dealer each hand rolls 2 dice -- on a roll of 7 we go to the next game in the rotation. Any major problems? It seems to be working for us, though we may increase the frequency of game change.
Old 02-15-2006, 04:30 PM

Default Re: mixed game structure

TD 2-7 played pot limit must get some crazy big pots.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:03 PM

Yep. Lowball played big bet (as opposed to limit) is usually played No-Limit with only one draw. This game is called Kansas City Lowball. ESPN did an episode of this game and although it didn't air, the episode made it onto the internet. Some googling might turn it up for you.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:38 AM

We do something similar in our home game, dealers choice, 20 minute rounds of each game, you can choose from

No-Limit Hold'em
Pot Limit Omaha
Pot Limit Omaha 8
Pot Limit Stud
Pot Limit Stud 8
Pot Limit London Lowball (like razz but A-6 is lowest hand as straights and flushes count against you)
No limit Kansas City Lowball

£5 buy-in, 10p/20p blinds for flop games and Kansas City, 10p dealer ante 20p bring in for the stud games.

I've been trying to introduce pot limit triple for weeks, no-one will have it though
Old 02-22-2006, 12:17 PM

You could try half pot limit on the TD.

I like the dealer ante thing, but I think you need to do a full round of stud games to make it work and be fair.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:55 PM

I'd agree with using half pot-limit rather than full pot-limit for triple draw. Maybe use HL for stud as well-I'm not sure as I've played one orbit of big-bet 7-card stud in my life.

Doyle's Room uses half pot-limit for Badugi and that seems to work well. B2B offers sökö (i.e. Canadian 5-card stud) in both PL and HL, but the full PL tables get most of the action.

SHORT (played PL/HPL) seems like a pretty cool game, although I'm a big fan of split-pot games myself. At least you aren't playing limit omaha high [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]