Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2007, 12:30 AM

Default What is my best course of action here?

Please bare w/ me as this post may be a bit lengthy.

Situation. I get aggrevated and quit my job (1 year ago). I had a couple thousand $$ set back from playing poker. As previously stated I havent worked for a year. I am currently getting ready to go through background investigations to be a police officer. They are going to want to know how I have lived the last year of my life.

Facts
I really dont have many bills so I dont need to show any major income (maybe 6-7K a year just to live on would be sufficent). I havent filed my tax returns yet for the year but I won a tournament in Vegas for 10k (should I include that on my taxes)?

My thoughts:
Tell them that I had money in my savings account and took a year off to do some traveling and see some old friends. I really dont think they could hold that against me and I dont think they would have anyway of proving that I didnt have the money in my savings as they can not (atleast to my knowledge) acess my financial records.

Problems.. A google search and my name comes up under winning some monies playing poker. No large amounts just a couple thousand. I thought I would be forth coming and tell them that I play as a hobby esp. since in the last year I have traveled to Vegas and Atlantic City.

Bottom of the line here. I hate to lie about the poker thing but I know that it will never fly. I should have thought about this before taking a year off and playing but it is what it is and there is nothing I can do about the situation now.

I have thought that since I havent filed my tax returns yet I could claim that I am self-employed like a power seller on e-bay or some crap like that... I figure that way I can show some type of monies made for the year... I'm really lost what the [censored] should I do? Oh yeah and sorry if this is the wrong forum but its the closest thing I could find.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:40 AM

Default Re: What is my best course of action here?

[ QUOTE ]
I am currently getting ready to go through background investigations to be a police officer. They are going to want to know how I have lived the last year of my life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't lie... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Seriously, think about what you are saying here... you want to be a police officer, so you want to hide the truth? What kind of police officer would that make you?
Old 04-11-2007, 12:46 AM

Can we please just stick to the question. I will run through this real quick. Yes I have a B.S. in criminal justice. I have 4 years serving in the U.S. Army (3rd Ranger BN) and I am a combat veteran and I'm a honest guy (for the most part) but being from the military I understand that honesty is not always rewarded. Trust me you would be much better off w/ me guarding over you and your children than most of the other dirtbags applying for the job. Can we concentrate on the question please.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:00 AM

I feel safer already.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:02 AM

Ronin, you think police officers don't play poker?
Old 04-11-2007, 01:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Trust me you would be much better off w/ me guarding over you and your children than most of the other dirtbags applying for the job.

[/ QUOTE ]

It just keeps getting scarier...
Old 04-11-2007, 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Trust me you would be much better off w/ me guarding over you and your children than most of the other dirtbags applying for the job.

[/ QUOTE ]

It just keeps getting scarier...

[/ QUOTE ]

When I read his last post, all I could think of was this...

Old 04-11-2007, 02:10 AM

sniper,

my thoughs exactly. hahahaha

-Mike