Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2007, 05:06 PM

Default taking shots at $25NL, Q7s on the button. 4 handed line check

So, I only have about 12 buy-ins (for moving up), but I'm running well at $10NL and have started to take shots at $25NL. First off, opinions on this? To clarify, I have ~31 buy-ins for $10NL as full bankroll. Anyway, I've been trying to open up my game a bit, as I am very nitty with 4 or fewer at the table. I've even been trying a bit HU, but I suck BADLY at it. Here's the hand.

Villian is a tough thinking player and has run ~25/16.5/12 over 67 hands. I am probably viewed as a bit weak tight since I've been slightly more risk-averse with a more limited bankroll (i.e., not much 2nd barrel bluffs, but still cbetting consistently).

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (4 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

SB ($24.50)
BB ($52.20)
UTG ($36.70)
Hero ($28)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls $0.75.

Flop: ($2.10) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $1.5</font>, Hero calls $1.50.

Villian here could easily have KQ, maybe even AQ, but not much else. He may be semibluffing a diamond draw. My kicker is worthless if he does have a Q...is this still a raise?

Turn: ($5.10) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $3</font>, Hero calls $3.

Well, the diamond draw came through and villian is still firing? I have no idea what to do...is this pot control line valid or terrible?

River: ($11.10) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4.5</font>, BB folds.

Final Pot: $15.60

That final check signals to me that I have the best hand and fire out a small bet for value. I put him on 77-JJ or maybe the A of diamonds and thought he might call a modest bet, although he folds. Who checks behind here to avoid opening myself up to a CRAI? Or is the bet for value good? What about the bet sizing? Sorry for length of post.

Cheers.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:38 PM

Default Re: taking shots at $25NL, Q7s on the button. 4 handed line check

a) find a full table
b) don't be raising Q7s on the btn if you only have 12 buyins for 25nl. reduce you variance and play a tighter game than normal. "open-up" when you're comfortable playing at a level with the br you have.

as for the hand. raise the flop. he could have a Q, but a smaller PP or random crap is much more likely. He might still call but then he'll likely check the turn and you can bet again or check behind. If you get 3bet you can fold since you'll rarely see anybody push a non Q here with 100bb+ behind.

there's nothing wrong with playign 25nl with 12 buyins, I was doing the same last week, but play at full tables and don't out think yourself. I had a good winrate playing solid abc and rarely committing a lot of chips after the flop with out a strong hand. gl.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:31 PM

Default Re: taking shots at $25NL, Q7s on the button. 4 handed line check

In regards to a) and b) ... this is sound advice. Thanks for your input. Yea, I think sometimes at such limits I adopt a form of tilt by deluding myself into thinking I need to force things to happen by aggression. This comes from perhaps being abused by a LAGgy player who knows how to play back at me (esp. with regards to raising c-bets) or being constantly floated and bet out of the pot on the turn. Meh, things to work on...