Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2007, 12:18 AM

Default TAG party with AKo

solid open CO, solid 3bet SB, I cap A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] BB, CO folds, SB calls.

He's 29/20/1.8, aggression goes 2.2/1.5/1.4ish. Seems to peel lots of flops in steal sits, probably has WtSD in 38-42 range. Doesn't seem to have a specific propensity for trickery, bluff c/rs, or spew. Seems to be playing well, not on tilt or emotional.

flop: T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

he checks, I bet, he calls.

turn Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

check, check.

I definitely bet this sometimes. Sometimes I don't. Is this a correct place to use a mixed strategy v. a solid player? If not, which way do you go? What do you do on different rivers?
Old 04-10-2007, 12:22 AM

Default Re: TAG party with AKo

[ QUOTE ]
solid open CO, solid 3bet SB, I cap A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] BB, CO folds, SB calls.

He's 29/20/1.8, aggression goes 2.2/1.5/1.4ish. Seems to peel lots of flops in steal sits, probably has WtSD in 38-42 range. Doesn't seem to have a specific propensity for trickery, bluff c/rs, or spew. Seems to be playing well, not on tilt or emotional.

flop: T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

he checks, I bet, he calls.

turn Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

check, check.

I definitely bet this sometimes. Sometimes I don't. Is this a correct place to use a mixed strategy v. a solid player? If not, which way do you go? What do you do on different rivers?

[/ QUOTE ]

Against player as described I don't think you should be checking the turn.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Against player as described I don't think you should be checking the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you provide some reasoning? Is it value, game theoryish stuff, or both? How would you handle a c/r?

thanks.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Could you provide some reasoning? Is it value, game theoryish stuff, or both? How would you handle a c/r?

[/ QUOTE ]

Mostly I just hate turning my hand face up against a good player here. You're representing a better hand than you have but there's a decent chance you are still ahead and you might have up to 13 outs if he's calling you down with mid pair. If check raised I'm forced into playing poker and try to reflect on the recent history to see what he might be up to, but usually c/r on this turn is a very strong hand so calling with gutshot outs and folding UI is probably a good default. Actually I check it sometimes too, but I try to do it against either people who I feel will be extremely honest on the river or against really bad ones who will fire any garbage.

Edit: I don't think you will get a clear cut response with a strategy on how to play here from anyone, this is a situation which actually requires playing poker.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:14 PM

i think checking is fine. hes not folding anything you beat here and he stands to be ahead. you have outs.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:34 PM

Does this:

[ QUOTE ]
Edit: I don't think you will get a clear cut response with a strategy on how to play here from anyone, this is a situation which actually requires playing poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

mean that the answer to this:

[ QUOTE ]
Is this a correct place to use a mixed strategy v. a solid player?

[/ QUOTE ]

is yes?
Old 04-10-2007, 11:41 PM

I love the check! If he Crs us we need to peel based on pot size, if we count A, K and str8 outs. Check through, if he bets, you need to call for split or potential win if he bluffs AJ type hand, and take note...
Old 04-11-2007, 12:00 AM

I def check.

He's not folding anything, including AK, after that check. However, there is some chance that he c/r with it. And there are lots and lots of good hands going for a c/r too. I actually think a bet is pretty bad, unless you think you can fold another AK by betting here and the river... but who are we kidding? you can't.
Old 04-14-2007, 04:42 AM

Check call river.
Old 04-14-2007, 05:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I def check.

He's not folding anything, including AK, after that check. However, there is some chance that he c/r with it. And there are lots and lots of good hands going for a c/r too. I actually think a bet is pretty bad, unless you think you can fold another AK by betting here and the river... but who are we kidding? you can't.

[/ QUOTE ]

BINGO