Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2007, 07:31 PM

Default Playing a medium stack - advice needed

Apologies if this is the wrong forum. Mods - please feel free to move.

In my state its a feloiny to play online poker, so I am trying to only play live. The only live NL game that is near me has a buy-in of between 20 and 60 big blinds. I am familiar with Millers short-stack strategy and can comfortably play with a 20 BB short stack. I am also somewhat comfortable playing a large stack of 100+BB's. However, I frequently find myself in this local game with a stack in the 60 BB range and I feel totally out of my comfort zone. My stack is too big to follow Miller's SS strategy of waiting for good hands and getting all the money in as soon as possible, but I don't have enough of a stack to play speculative hands, either.

Does anyone have some words of wisdom for playing a 60BB stack? I have read Sklansky and Millers book on NL, as well as Harrington's 3 books, but this still gives me fits.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:48 PM

Default Re: Playing a medium stack - advice needed

buyin full
Old 04-09-2007, 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
buyin full

[/ QUOTE ]

read the post.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:07 AM

play AJ+, suited broadway, 88+
don't play unsuited broadway, low suited connectors, etc
speculative hands don't play well with low BB stacks
Old 04-10-2007, 03:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
don't play unsuited broadway

[/ QUOTE ]

Unsuited broadways play much better with shallower stacks. But of course that doesn't mean that you should be calling raises with hands like KJo.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:33 AM

live poker is so lol.

play tight, dont try and steal as much, your stealing success is much much lower than online.

just value bet all your great hands. felt TPTK everytime for less than 80bbs. get it in with JJ+ pf. (and AQ/AK/though AQ is close).

shut down if you dont improve if there are more than 2 other players in. ie. AK raise pf, call call, flop comes T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], i often shutdown there depending on my/their stack sizes. though in live poker you can often get away with betting smallish amounts to still convey strength. HU i still c-bet alot.

dont try and get tricky with Axs/scs/etc. play pocket pairs carefully, dont go apeshit with them, especially given stacks. if you have any sort of FD, play them aggressively in an attempt to double up.

basically, your goal should be to double up and play deeper vs. the other [censored] live players. (90% of the live poker pop.). so, just concentrate on that and dont worry about trying to be fancy/make moves until you get deeper.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:06 PM

Good advice. Thanks to everyone who responded to the content of my post.

I had been trying to play Miller SS by buying in for 20BB's, but I think it makes more sense to just buy-in for the max 60BB and get to deep stack play as soon as possible.

A little off topic, but I am amazed at the quality of play live. I'm only playing $3/$5 NL, which I had expected to play about the same as $25NL online. Based on my initial, extremely small sample size, it looks like I gave live players too much credit. Either that, or I am just really good at table selection [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].