Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2007, 01:22 AM

Default Razz Tournament strategy

How should strategy change throughout a tournament for razz compared to a cash game? I havent found any reading material for this myself so sorry if this information is out there I have not been able to find it.

The only things I have come up with to change is disregard marginal edges as with razz they drastically change so much I shouldnt be wanting to 4bet with only an estimated 51% chance to win for example. Not sure how to widen hand selection while antes and betting increases as antes give an almost fake sense of safety for chip stacks when blinds are alot higher.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:21 PM

Default Re: Razz Tournament strategy

I wouldnt 4bet 3rd very often. For example, you raise with a25 and someone with a 6 showing 3 bets i wouldnt cap unless the guy is a complete idiot. But this is for when the blinds are getting really high, early in the trny you should cap.

Its to easy for you to draw a bad card and they draw good and if your hand is really good on 3rd then you will have to see 5th and the huge blinds can cripple you in just a few hands even with a big stack. Save the raising for 4th(depending on what you both draw) and mostly 5th and after.

As far as raising goes most people raise with the best hand showing and miss alot of bets with other hands. Unless the person is stupid they arent going to give the best hand a chance to raise, so dont be scared to raise the worst hand with the best draw. Once the blinds get to 100/200 and higher, 1 bet is huge.

Blinds and antes getting huge might make some people think they need to loosen up but this is definately bad. Again, you can be crippled in just a few bad hands so you want the biggest edge you can get. Also, getting blinded down to a shortstack isnt so bad when the blinds are so big, cuase picking up 1 pot puts you right back in the game.

Only time to you have to move in with weak hands is when you are really shortstacked, and then i would wait for late position, and might push with something like 8 or 9 high, try to stay away from a hand like 689, but depending on what cards are showing behind you pushing with 689 might be correct.

Look for late position stealing opportunities. Just picking up the bring in and antes is a huge addition to your stack late in the trny.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:56 AM

Default Re: Razz Tournament strategy

I noticed at this years WSOP Razz event, the antes are often huge compared to the bring in and complete. At the start the antes are $5, the bring in just $5 and the complete $20. That's got to be a huge incentive for loosened starting requirements, and slightly looser play on later streets. Can anyone offer revised starting hand requirements at this level?