Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2007, 12:32 PM

Default Kicker play with quads on board?

Had someone trying to argue a point at my home game last night (it concerns rules in B&M)...

He was saying that in live games, the kicker for quads on the board doesn't play. His reasoning being that it's impossible for both people have the same winning portion of the hand (quads) using their cards, so they both have the same hand, end of story. All of us said that was ridiculous, it's a five-card game.

As there have been discussions on here about modern rulings being inconsistent with traditional methods, I figured there was a possibility this was such, too...
Old 04-06-2007, 12:39 PM

Default Re: Kicker play with quads on board?

You have 5 cards in a pokerhand, quads is 4 + the kicker.
Board KKKK6, AQ beats TJ. Both have quads but AKKKK beats KKKKJ
Old 04-06-2007, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

As there have been discussions on here about modern rulings being inconsistent with traditional methods,

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh???
Old 04-06-2007, 12:47 PM

Granted, my B&M experience is limited, but this sounds totally inaccurate.

KKKKA = everyone gets paid, but KKKK2 = whoever has the highest kicker in their hand gets the pot

I've never seen or heard anything different
Old 04-06-2007, 12:48 PM

His logic is just dumb. Of course the best five cards play no matter where they are. I can't believe he's saying that if the board were 44442, that it's a split.

Well, I can believe it, but he needs to get his head straighted. Also Pfap, send this guy over to my game on the 28th please. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-06-2007, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As there have been discussions on here about modern rulings being inconsistent with traditional methods,

[/ QUOTE ]Huh???

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm thinking mainly of the string bet discussion. In NL, your action is done when you are done and multiple movements can be made. Limit rules are being applied to NL, and it seems to be causing problems here and there.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
His logic is just dumb. Of course the best five cards play no matter where they are. I can't believe he's saying that if the board were 44442, that it's a split.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, didn't make much sense to me. I can see the reasoning that two players can't have quads on the strength of their hand, so it's not a total head-scratcher understanding his point of view, but it's a five card game. The main thing that gave me pause is that he's by far the best player in the room (great at reading people despite being primarily an online player) and is generally quite knowledgable, so I considered that perhaps this is an old rule not in use any more.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Huh???

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm thinking mainly of the string bet discussion. In NL, your action is done when you are done and multiple movements can be made. Limit rules are being applied to NL, and it seems to be causing problems here and there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you can only do this if you've announced the amount of your raise. If you announce raise and then use more than one motion to put chips into the pot w/o declaring the amount first, only the first move forward will count. If the first movement is less than a raise, then the minimum raise will be enforced.

Did I miss the point entirely?
Old 04-06-2007, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, didn't make much sense to me. I can see the reasoning that two players can't have quads on the strength of their hand...

[/ QUOTE ]

What does based on the strength of his hand even mean? It never matters what starting cards you hold. Maybe I'm missing something here. I still don't get how his argument even holds water.

It's true that even us good players make mistakes. For example, just recently I fixed our NL rule that the minimum bet is double the BB on 4th and 5th street. Apparently that only applies to limit from which I had applied it from.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, didn't make much sense to me. I can see the reasoning that two players can't have quads on the strength of their hand, so it's not a total head-scratcher understanding his point of view, but it's a five card game. The main thing that gave me pause is that he's by far the best player in the room (great at reading people despite being primarily an online player) and is generally quite knowledgable, so I considered that perhaps this is an old rule not in use any more.

[/ QUOTE ]
it’s a 7 card game. 5 community cards. the 5 community cards are used with your own 2 cards to make the best 5 card hand. community cards means everybody can use them.