Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2007, 02:22 PM

Default JJ multiway flops top set, plays badly?

~40 left in a 10/180, I'm about average (12kish), most of the table is pretty healthy - blinds 150/300/25

I'm on the button with red JJ, 3 limps(!) tightish MP with about 14k opens to 800. I just call, 2 limpers call, pot = ~3000.

Flop Js7c2h,

Check to MP who bets 2k, I call, both ep limpers fold.

Turn 3c.

MP checks, I check

River Tc.

MP bets 3600, I call

Comments welcome on all streets.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:28 PM

Default Re: JJ multiway flops top set, plays badly?

I don't like any of it much but checking behind on the turn is really bad. I suppose arguments can be made for pre-flop (though a multiway pot is not really what you want to encourage with JJ) and the flop is so dry I suppose you can give him a free card. You have to raise the turn though. I'd push the river for value - it's not likely he's not bet overcards and a four flush on the turn.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:36 PM

I'd normally reraise with JJ in this spot, but that raise by MP is somewhat suspicious. Only T800 behind 3 limpers? I don't mind just calling either, but I hate the fact that I'd be giving worse hands great odds.

I like the smooth call on the flop (harmless), but I think you have to bet the turn. Like registrar says, probably not a four flush with overs. If he's trapping with an overpair, he'll come over the top of your bet and you can push right after. From his view, you most likely have a J.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:49 PM

*head explodes*

This is, in the words of Gordon LaChance, a complete and total barforama.

I like a reraise preflop, so you don't get what you got, which is a 5 way pot with JJ. I don't HATE the smooth call, but you are going to have to be able to get away if it's bad. But the raise is only 2.6xBB, there is no way the limpers are folding.

The flop is fine, I like the call to bring along the limpers, who are drawing dead in all likelihood. Very dry board.

The turn is atrocious. BET.

The river is abominable. You are losing to 89 or two clubs. RAISE. He will pay with AJ, AA, KK, QQ, TT at a minimum. If you were THIS scared of the club draw, why check the turn. UGH UGH UGH.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:52 PM

The turn is bad but not AWFUL. If AK hits on river, you may be able to stack him. I'd bet though. River is beyond awful. Shove your chips in.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:53 PM

I think I'd have made a small raise pre-flop to isolate the bettor. After the flop, had I been isolated, I'd have smooth called his bet, but being in the position you were, I'm not sure that's a wrong move here, hoping for a call from one one of the EP players. After his check on the turn I'd have made a mid-sized bet, if for no other reason to make it expensive to draw at another club should he have two, but also because you have the board so dominated. It depends on the feeling you get fro the player about why he is checking. If you think hes ready to give up the hand, you might not bet the turn to induce a desperation bluff on the river, but if you think he thinks he's fairly strong, then of course, you should have bet him.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:54 PM

I think the turn is the worst, and it made the river...well...exactly what you got. Every other street is debatable, the river call is a bit weak, but preflop and flop I'd probably play the same. Turn sucks so hard though. You have to bet that turn. You don't have to bet huge, but there's ~7k in the pot, you've got like 9k left...I'm torn between just pushing vs. betting 4.5k on the turn with the intent of getting the rest in on any river.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:03 PM

I have little to add to the above, except to say that just calling the river in fear of a runner runner flush is ev-.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:04 PM

ok... if it's possible to get a hangover from jst reading a HH then lol to this hand.

if you just call the turn i'm not pissed with your flat call on the river.

but you really do have to bet this turn. all loads of draws are no available and you need to take control of the hand.

did you get sucked out on? i hope you are pissed and posted it cause you didn't extract value , not cause you got bad beated
Old 04-05-2007, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the turn is the worst, and it made the river...well...exactly what you got. Every other street is debatable, the river call is a bit weak, but preflop and flop I'd probably play the same. Turn sucks so hard though. You have to bet that turn. You don't have to bet huge, but there's ~7k in the pot, you've got like 9k left...I'm torn between just pushing vs. betting 4.5k on the turn with the intent of getting the rest in on any river.

[/ QUOTE ]This was exactly my thoughts at the time. If any of the limpers had called the flop bet, I was pushing any turn.

PF, I didn't re-raise because the table had been playing tight and fairly trappy, so given the relative deepness of the stacks, I didn't really want to have to choose between calling or folding to a limp-push.