Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2007, 10:27 PM

Default $10NL My first attempt at a blocking bet

Again, no reads yet. Sorry, hoping to rectify this soon. Does this seem like a decent spot for a blocking bet? Decent amount? How would reads change it if at all?

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $.10 BB (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP2 ($17.28)
CO ($11.90)
Button ($3.59)
SB ($5.16)
Hero ($17.24)
UTG ($3.18)
UTG+1 ($9.70)
MP1 ($9.60)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.10.
Hero calls $0.10, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls $0.10, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB (poster) checks.

Flop: ($0.30) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets $0.3</font>, SB folds, Hero calls $0.30.

Turn: ($0.90) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.4</font>
Old 04-04-2007, 10:37 PM

Default Re: $10NL My first attempt at a blocking bet

I'd hate to get raised out of the hand. If villian raises the turn to another $1.30 (the size of the pot on the turn after hero bets) can hero see the river?

Villian does have a large stack but not sure we can get it all if we hit our hand on the river.

Interesting hand. I will wait to see what the experts suggest in this spot.

I think I would like it more if the flop got checked through. That wouldn't make it a blocking bet though I don't think.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:30 AM

looks good. you are representing a big hand such as 2 pair or made straight so unless he has a big hand your are probably going to get to see a river for cheap. If he raises you know he has a big hand and will give you implied odds to take a card off. Your draws are exposed but if he has a good enough hand to raise you he will definately call a decent sized bet on river. If he raises to $1.50 total or less would definately give you odds to call, if he makes a big raise to like $2.50 or more you definately have a fold.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:11 AM

Can't we play this more aggressively on all streets?
Old 04-05-2007, 01:18 AM

I bet this flop. It will build a pot for you and may cause villain to put you on top pair/2pair and pay off a larger bet if the flush comes out.

As played I think the blocking bet is ok but still somewhat see-through to an observant opponent because there are very few other hands that take this line.

ez game - a weak donk bet on the turn is not indicating the hands you listed in your post. Two pair (if flopped) should be betting this flop for sure and a turned two pair should be betting larger to charge the many draws that are out. Also, the only feasible hands that made a straight are Q9 and AsQs (not likely since we didn't raise PF).
Old 04-05-2007, 08:42 AM

Are you moving over to the dark side now Qtip?
Old 04-05-2007, 09:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Again, no reads yet. Sorry, hoping to rectify this soon. Does this seem like a decent spot for a blocking bet? Decent amount? How would reads change it if at all?

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $.10 BB (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP2 ($17.28)
CO ($11.90)
Button ($3.59)
SB ($5.16)
Hero ($17.24)
UTG ($3.18)
UTG+1 ($9.70)
MP1 ($9.60)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.10.
Hero calls $0.10, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls $0.10, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB (poster) checks.

Flop: ($0.30) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets $0.3</font>, SB folds, Hero calls $0.30.

Turn: ($0.90) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.4</font>

[/ QUOTE ]
I like the blocking bet but I would have prefered betting out 1/2 the pot on the flop. If you got one folder you could semi-bluff again for 1/2 the pot on the turn and also disguises your hand nicely if you do hit the nuts on the river.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:14 AM

We can't seriously have a discussion about the efficacy of the blocking bet without talking about what our villain's range of hands is, and what villain has hero on.

Villain's range here includes top pair hands (KJ, QJ, JT, J9--but probably not AJ). Half of these are two pair hands by the turn. However, Villain's range also includes a lot of air--hero has been passive so far so he may just be looking to take down the pot. There is also the possibility that villain is on a straight or flush draw.

For many of villain's hands, the K on the turn is a scare card, and he may agree to seeing a cheap river either because he is afraid of the King or still drawing. Really, the only hands you can expect to reraise hero off this hand are JT, KJ, KT, a small fraction of the range.

Therefore, OP, this is a good spot for a blocking bet. I strongly disagree with whoever called it a "weak donk bet." Additionally, I think you sized it reasonably well.

However, I think your play has telegraphed your hand to an observant player, so I do not think you are really getting the implied odds necessary to call a big reraise. If we assume that only 2 pair or better (and there's likely nothing better out) reraises you, your hand is no good if the board pairs (say, K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]). So you don't have your full 9 outs; some of them pair the board. I think you could get paid off here for, say a pot-sized river bet, if villain has or makes a straight, but not two pair. Two pair folds to a pot-sized river bet, imo, and anything less does not give you the necessary implied odds to call a reraise.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We can't seriously have a discussion about the efficacy of the blocking bet without talking about what our villain's range of hands is, and what villain has hero on.

Villain's range here includes top pair hands (KJ, QJ, JT, J9--but probably not AJ). Half of these are two pair hands by the turn. However, Villain's range also includes a lot of air--hero has been passive so far so he may just be looking to take down the pot. There is also the possibility that villain is on a straight or flush draw.

For many of villain's hands, the K on the turn is a scare card, and he may agree to seeing a cheap river either because he is afraid of the King or still drawing. Really, the only hands you can expect to reraise hero off this hand are JT, KJ, KT, a small fraction of the range.

Therefore, OP, this is a good spot for a blocking bet. I strongly disagree with whoever called it a "weak donk bet." Additionally, I think you sized it reasonably well.

However, I think your play has telegraphed your hand to an observant player, so I do not think you are really getting the implied odds necessary to call a big reraise. If we assume that only 2 pair or better (and there's likely nothing better out) reraises you, your hand is no good if the board pairs (say, K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]). So you don't have your full 9 outs; some of them pair the board. I think you could get paid off here for, say a pot-sized river bet, if villain has or makes a straight, but not two pair. Two pair folds to a pot-sized river bet, imo, and anything less does not give you the necessary implied odds to call a reraise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thx for the well-thought response. Things I need to start thinking more about...
Old 04-05-2007, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you moving over to the dark side now Qtip?

[/ QUOTE ]

trying to learn the ability to save my loved ones...

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Absolutely.