Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2007, 10:02 PM

Default GRE

Anybody here taken the GRE recently? What approaches did you use to prepare? I also understand tha tthe GRE will no longer be a CAT starting this summer. Any ideas on how to compensate?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 04-03-2007, 10:13 PM

Default Re: GRE

GRE won't be a stupid computer test anymore? Damn, I took that at the wrong time.

My advice: (bigger picture advice) What field are you going into? If you are doing an engineering/sciences field, put 90% of your effort into a 790-800 math. Verbal is almost meaningless and writing is completely meaningless.

If you are going to study liberal arts, then do the opposite. Get the verbal up as high as possible (high 6's, or 7xx is pretty good IMO) and make sure you get a 5.5+ on the writing.

From what I've been told, combined scores do not matter very much. Focus on what is most applicable.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:46 AM

thanks
Old 04-04-2007, 03:30 AM

The GRE was planning to move from a CAT (computer adaptive test) to a CBT (computer based test) this summer. ETS announced the other day this will not be happening and the CAT will continue until further notice.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:06 AM

Was forced to take the math subject test GRE by my University even though I don't need it and would have otherwise not taken it. Did zero prep other than a required class that didn't help any. Did horribly on it, but oh well / who cares.

--
if you're talking about the general GRE, it should be CAKE.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:36 AM

I recently took the GRE. I got a review book and spent most of my time on vocabulary, making flash cards for the words I didn't know.

All of the math stuff should be easy unless you are careless. But I still took a couple practice tests to make sure I remembered all the geometry rules they covered.

I can't say I spend more than 15 minutes total reviewing for the writing section. Just know what the difference is between the two types of prompt.

That said, even getting a perfect math and verbal GRE score didn't get me into the schools I wanted to go to. So I'm not sure if the test is particularly important.