Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2007, 08:57 PM

Default Fun Valuation Site

This was originaly posted in BBV4Life but I thought those that havent seen it may enjoy looking up their sites.

http://www.dnscoop.com/
Old 04-03-2007, 08:59 PM

Default Re: Fun Valuation Site

Great..... I see that it is not giving a value right now. I hope it is fixed soon.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:01 PM

twoplustwo is worth $7,229,220
Old 04-04-2007, 12:48 AM

the valuations are fairly disparate. check out google or yahoo etc, then compare it to their market capitalizations. even with a margin of error taken into account for irrational humans etc, the numbers are leagues apart.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the valuations are fairly disparate. check out google or yahoo etc, then compare it to their market capitalizations. even with a margin of error taken into account for irrational humans etc, the numbers are leagues apart.

[/ QUOTE ]
Fwiw I don't think Yahoo and Google are great benchmarks for this test. Their market caps are valuing very different things than this test is. You should probably stick to using this (and I mean using in a very loose sense since I don't think there's any actual value to this thing) for web properties that are self contained. This becomes a real problem in search (yahoo and google) because these little algorithmic valuations typically use inbound links as most of the data. Yahoo and google's values are not really correlated to inbound links the way 2+2's would be.

I see this one uses pagerank and alexarank as well, but you can't just throw yahoo and 2+2 into the same black box and value them the same way.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:39 PM

A domain I use to host some downloads was "valued" at over $5k, so I can't believe this :P
Old 04-04-2007, 03:00 PM

I just thought it was fun to play around with. I dont put a lot of weight in its valuations. I had a blog that it valued at over 50K. I would take $50 for it. LOL
Old 04-05-2007, 08:37 PM

Do you think the valuations have any significance. Can this be used for any real reasons or just for fun.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think the valuations have any significance. Can this be used for any real reasons or just for fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

Majesty, the site looks like a work in progress, assuming they continue to refine their algorithm, the value of the tool may increase over time.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In line with Evan's comment, its worth noting that the tool is trying to estimate a value for the Domain/Website. Google and Yahoo have assets beyond simply their website which would make comparisons to Market Cap worthless in any event.