Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2007, 07:46 PM

Default 4/8 line check QTd utg+1

Been sitting for an hour and haven't won a hand. This is probably the 3rd hand I've played in that time out of the blinds, so my image is pretty tight. Other players are a mixture of typical 4/8 commerce regulars.

utg open limps, Hero is utg+1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and limps, mp2 limps, c/o limps, blinds check.

6 to the flop for 6sb. Flop is A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
checked to hero who bets. mp2 calls, c/o calls, bb calls, everyone else folds. (Anyone prefer a checkraise here?)

4 to the turn for 5bb. Turn blanks. bb checks, hero bets, mp2 calls, c/o calls, bb folds.

3 to the river for 8bb. River is K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Hero checks, mp2 bets, c/o raises, Hero folds.

Anyone play this differently?
Old 04-02-2007, 08:07 PM

Default Re: 4/8 line check QTd utg+1

Looks good
Old 04-02-2007, 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
6 to the flop for 6sb. Flop is AK9
checked to hero who bets. mp2 calls, c/o calls, bb calls, everyone else folds. (Anyone prefer a checkraise here?)

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you have to bet out on the flop - the whole hand looks good to me.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Been sitting for an hour and haven't won a hand. This is probably the 3rd hand I've played in that time out of the blinds, so my image is pretty tight. Other players are a mixture of typical 4/8 commerce regulars.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given this statement, I would raise pre-flop.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Looks good

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-02-2007, 09:50 PM

I'm just wondering why you bet the turn? I don't think you're ever going to get everybody to fold, and you're at best neutral EV if everybody calls. Whats the advantage over checking?
Old 04-03-2007, 01:47 AM

On the turn I have 3 other players in the pot and I've got 12 outs. If they all call I'm actually ahead a bit. Also, betting allows me to keep control of the hand. If I check it then mp2 might bet and the c/o might raise, facing me with 2 bets that I have to call due to pot odds. The turn is not going to get checked through on this board, so I might as well be the one doing the betting, right?
Old 04-03-2007, 05:14 AM

If the person left of you is aggressive you can go for the checkraise on the flop. I don't like betting the turn.

[ QUOTE ]

Also, betting allows me to keep control of the hand. If I check it then mp2 might bet and the c/o might raise, facing me with 2 bets that I have to call due to pot odds. The turn is not going to get checked through on this board, so I might as well be the one doing the betting, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you bet, the c/o will probably raise anyway, if he would raise MP2. You also have to call. There is no difference in the total amount of bets you call on the turn (two). However, it might just get checked through. Betting does not buy you outs.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:41 AM

standard
Old 04-03-2007, 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you bet, the c/o will probably raise anyway, if he would raise MP2. You also have to call. There is no difference in the total amount of bets you call on the turn (two). However, it might just get checked through. Betting does not buy you outs.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's less likely that c/o raises me than raises mp2 as I look like I have a strong hand as I've been betting all the way. I know I didn't say this in the op, but this table was aggressive enough (commerce) that there was no way the turn was getting checked through. I think keeping the lead in this hand is at the very least good for my image. I'm not looking to buy outs.

Maybe my thinking is off here. How many others check the turn with a gutshot straight flush draw against 3 other players on the turn and why?