Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2007, 03:10 PM

Default No Limit Bots ? Kwickfish says yes.

From Paul Wisickas Blog

terminator? I was chilling with my friend last night and the late night t.v. proved so horrific that it drove us to fire up a session. We didn’t want to do it. My friend had been running badly of late and I’d just flown into town, but at 2:00 a.m. in the suburbs, there aren’t many options.

My usual site was glitching something fierce so we sat at a few 10/20 games on a site I don’t frequent nearly as much. I enjoy playing the schoolyard bully online but I didn’t recognize anyone so we decided to keep it sane for a while. Within 10 minutes, I’d dropped a couple grand—all to this hyper aggressive guy sitting at all three of my tables.

The way to counter aggression is with aggression of your own. My friend and I began to really study this guy. Maniac played four hands out of every six. He bet every flop and called every continuation bet. He was a master at taking pots away. And he did everything ridiculously fast. Before I’d even determined where I was at on the flop, he’d have fired out a bet. If I bet preflop, he often immediately raised. If I ever checked, he bet. I got sick of being the one in tough situations and decided to put him in a few. I waited for hands and reraised him a few times. Each time, he folded immediately. Literally immediately. In hundreds of thousands of hands played on every respectable poker site, I’d never seen someone make every single decision this quickly; No thought involved. Was he that full of it? Did he truly have absolute garbage each time? Did he even have time to click ‘Fold to any bet?’ How could he make three tough decisions before I could even fold a 9, 2 offsuit? We finally had a few showdowns and after I saw his hands, I got it: Maniac was a bot.

Everyone knows he or she might be sitting across the cyber felt from a bot but it just doesn’t happen that often. If it has happened to me, it wasn’t nearly as obvious before. The sad thing? This bot was crushing. At all three of my tables, he was rocking twice the stack of anyone else. He was up at least $10k on these three tables alone.

People often ask me why I think I’ve been successful this quickly in poker, and I think one of them is my ability to adapt quickly to a situation. Honestly, aside from 25 minutes or so against Jamie Gold in the WSOP Main Event (and we all know how that went), I had virtually no heads up experience going in to the NBC Heads Up Championship.

As the session progressed, I studied the bot. I tried to play small-pot poker and whenever possible, I took it to a showdown. Before I knew it, the clock read 4:00 a.m. and the cashier had us in the black about $5,000. I’d love to say we took it all from the bot, but honestly, I think the bot gave us one third to one half.

Is this the future of online poker? Are the days of picking up easy money on Party Poker tables gone forever? Must I now battle bots, cyborgs, and heaven knows what else to be successful? So be it. Mr. Bot, I have one line for you, and it’s cheesy but it’s real—more real than you are:

“I’ll be back!”
Old 04-02-2007, 03:20 PM

Default Re: No Limit Bots ? Kwickfish says yes.

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 04-02-2007, 03:25 PM

The guy can write and bots will be bots.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:28 PM

I think bots would be a welcome addition in most of my games
Old 04-02-2007, 03:47 PM

fastest person to make decisions I know of is elky....possibly could be
Old 04-02-2007, 03:47 PM

A coder smart enough to make a winning 10/20 nl bot is smart enough to give it random pauses, lol.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think bots would be a welcome addition in most of my games

[/ QUOTE ]

naivety meets arrogance.
Old 04-02-2007, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A coder smart enough to make a winning 10/20 nl bot is smart enough to give it random pauses, lol.

[/ QUOTE ]
my thoughts exactly
Old 04-02-2007, 04:14 PM

How bout the computer programs in the playstation poker games. There reasonably advanced, why couldnt a person make a bot out of one of those programs.
Old 04-02-2007, 04:20 PM

A bot can be both advanced AND exploitable. Those video games are perfect examples. I think any player can beat them after a few hours. Also, I think Phil Laak went into detail on playing bots. Try googling it. An advanced bot has a more complex pattern of behavior and just takes longer to crack. Also, ALL bots must be aggressive by default if to have a positive expectation. Use that against them