Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2007, 01:25 PM

Default Are these words binding?

Live game, its heads-up and one player bets on the river, the other players says "Raise" and begins counting chips, the original raiser says "Whatever you raise I will call." before the player finishes making his raise.

Is this binding at all? Is any variation of this binding? (eg. "If you go all-in, I guarantee that I will call" , etc.)
Old 04-02-2007, 01:34 PM

Default Re: Are these words binding?

Last time I was at the Borgata, this conversation came up. The dealer said that the it would be verbally binding.

Then the question was asked what if I said 'I'll call anything up to $50.' Then the guy bets $51. Dealer said this wouldn't be binding as a fold/pass.

Either way, you can be sure that the floor will end up at your table. The above is also in no ways reflected of the actual answer, just what was discussed including the dealer's answer at the Borgata.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:56 PM

As in most situations "It depends". There is no clear answer to this question as everyone has different rules about verbal being binding or not. Best to ask the room you're playing in because it's definately not clear cut situation.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:41 PM

Surely this isn't binding? It's clearly a ploy, not a verbal declaration of action. To be safe, I suppose you can add "probably" to what you say. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-02-2007, 02:56 PM

It's not your turn yet...don't really see how your "action" can be binding. Just talk talk talk. Same as if you announce raise out of turn. Even online when you click the "call any" button, you can still uncheck it up until it's your turn again. Same diff. Can't be binding.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:08 PM

thats not the same difference nobody knows that you checked the call anything button... its clearly an attempt at an angle in a live game if you say that.. just ignore it.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's not your turn yet...don't really see how your "action" can be binding. Just talk talk talk. Same as if you announce raise out of turn. Even online when you click the "call any" button, you can still uncheck it up until it's your turn again. Same diff. Can't be binding.

[/ QUOTE ]

One has absolutely nothing to do with the other in this situation. Live poker has been around much longer than internet poker, contrary to popular belief in other forums.

It's clearly an angle shoot and the floor should be called. IMO, a warning first time, but if the player is known to have done this in the past, I'd bind him to his verbal action.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:17 PM

For those of you who say this isn't binding, what about if the player had just said "call" before the raiser put in the full amount of the raise? Clearly this is a verbally binding call, yes?

What is the difference between saying "call" and "whatever you raise, I will call"? Are you telling me that adding those 5 extra words now constitutes angling and not a verbal call?

I see this as a blank check ready for the raiser to fill in, personally.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For those of you who say this isn't binding, what about if the player had just said "call" before the raiser put in the full amount of the raise? Clearly this is a verbally binding call, yes?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?
The action was not back to him yet. The raiser's turn is not complete until he either puts his chips in or states the amount of the raise.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Not in my book. You cannot call a bet that hasn't been made. You cannot commit yourself (at least not by accident) to calling any amount an opponent chooses to put in. If somehow your mind flips into limit-mode for two seconds and you shout "call" when someone says "raise", you are not writing him a blank check in no-limit.

This has even come up in televised poker tourneys. Guy says "raise" and and the guy behind jumps the gun and says "CALL!". He is ONLY committed to call a minimal raise. If the raiser puts in more than the minimum raise, the out of turn guy is off the hook.

In OP's original case where someone is intentionally trying to (or pretending to) commit himself before the bet, I'd still consider it a threat, not a binding promise. It isn't his turn. He cannot pre-commit himself to a wager of unknown size.

But I've been in a game where a floor ruled otherwise. So YMMV and it's a dangerous game the angle shooter is playing if he is hoping he can fold when it's his turn.