Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2007, 07:41 AM

Default The Importance of Beginner\'s Mind

Zen Buddhism is very in to the importance of Beginner's Mind. Bascially it refers to the importance of having an attitude of openness to new ideas, an eagerness to learn, and a lack of pre-conceptions. It is actually a concept that is supposed to remind experts to keep their minds clear.

However, beginners have even more need to have beginner's mind than experts. An empty jug will hold more water than one with rocks in it. You'll have to excuse me randomly throwing metaphors around, I have my orange pants on.

But before I talk about how to cultivate Beginner's Mind, I should probably establish why Beginner's Mind is a good thing.

Beginner's Mind will stop you making bad posts. Too often, posters (and I am very guilty of this) will post hands looking to be reassured they played correctly rather than seeking to learn.

Beginner's Mind will help your game. By being genuinely ready to learn and open to new ideas, you will have more knowledge. By being eager because things are new and exciting, you will practise using this new knowledge until it becomes

So how to cultivate Beginner's Mind?

Ignore hand and session results. There is a reason that every strategy forum FAQ asks you not to post hand results. Our egos demand that we are right. If we know that a post is asking about AsA vs Ts9s on a JsQsA board then we will give the best advice for that situation. But we never know we are in that situation until afterwards and then we can not change it. If we post the results then most people will not be able to discuss AsA vs XX on a JsQsA board. Discussing what XX might be and the best path to take against it is many times better than dissecting one very specific hand.

Ignore session results. The human mind is designed by millions of years of evolution to be able to jump to conclusions based on very small sample size. Unfortunately the randomness inherent in poker makes this dangerous. Just because you won you are not a winning player and just because you lost you are not a losing player. If a pattern starts developing, then you can be more confident about it (although there are some horrific stories of breakeven or losing runs). The best way of measuring your skills is to test your skills not your results.

There is no I. When you present a hand it should not be something that happened to you, that you are attached to, that you are unsure about, that you are angry about, or anything. It should be an interesting hand that happened to a non existent player named Hero whose memory happens to stop immediately after the decision point you are curious about. You should look at Hero's hand as dispassionately and deliberately as you look at a problem in a book. You only know what Hero knows and seek to make the best decision.

One final thought. The people who found this post most interesting will be those who least need to listen to it because they already have it. If you found yourself rejecting the ideas, ask yourself if the fault is really with the ideas?
Old 04-01-2007, 10:03 AM

Default Re: The Importance of Beginner\'s Mind

Interesting post and probably quite applicable to many people.

Any chance of a "part two" to this on maintaining/regaining beginner's mind once you have some advanced knowledge? Something for those who are beyond the point of looking at session results, understand the long term is very long, and already manage to (generally) keep our egos out of it? How does an experienced player find the thrill that the beginner experiences when he truly comes to understand a specific concept and can implement it correctly?
Old 04-01-2007, 02:16 PM

Excellent post!

I can remember way back to July of 2005 when I first started to play Hold' Em I read several books and one of them being "The Tao of Poker" by Larry W. Phillips.
I have saved many bets by listening to the advice in this book. In fact even though it is not a Two Plus Two publication I highly recommend it to beginners because quite often when Hero finds himself losing over long periods of time with the so-called Top Ten Starting hands it is often the Hero that needs to change not the luck of Villans.

A tips that has always helped me:

1. The dangers of "moving on" from things we should not move on from.

For example, we may have lost 30 bets in a 3/6 game and bought back in trying to get even. Maybe one time we did get back even. But we also know that losing 30 bets in ANY game means that we are obviously not running good. Yet we continue to play. A Hero who has a stop-loss in place would have quit at -30 big bets or maybe less. Yet the Hero persists on playing beyond -30 big bets thinking that he has moved on.

Or maybe the Hero starts chasing unprofitable draws, cold calling too much and more less WASTING bets. Amateur play.

Solid play, making good decisions, picking your spots and listening to your GUT will vastly improve your play.

So before you try to know the other players at the table it is equally important to know YOURSELF.
Old 04-02-2007, 04:07 PM

Thanks.

I'll try to put a sequel together sometime later this week. It depends how busy I am with work and life.