Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2007, 04:07 AM

Default The government is good!

I had an epiphany, just now. The state is necessary for the function of our society. It is the glue that holds us all together. Taxes may be irrating,,but they provide for so many things that wouldn't exist otherwise and make our lives easier - roads, courts, police, social workers, etc, and how can that be a bad thing?

Further, one must realize that externalities are a huge problem facing our society, especially with the global warming problem coming up over the horizon. We need to take swift action to reduce our carbon output or soon we won't have an earth.

Moreover, I realize now that it's important to make sure that the weak are cared for, and that man's natural self-interest precludes him from doing this on his own. We need the state to provide a safety net for the poorest in our society, and also to provide them with health care.

Also, let's face it - people aren't exactly good long-term thinkers. I mean, look at how bad they are at poker. Social Security is an excellent way to insure against poor saving by those who are sucked in to the consumerist nature of our culture.

In regard to national security: our homeland is under attack. 9/11 changed everything. And to those wusses who quote Ben Franklin I say this: How can you have liberty if you're dead? We need to stay alive, first and foremost. Even if our government goes about it in a roundabout way, things like the Iraq War show that they have a sound philosophy even if they lack in execution. We need to kill these people before they kill us. Security first. If that means a few people have wiretaps on their phones, so be it - if you are really a good citizen you don't have anything to hide.

We need universal health care. Health care is a basic human right and must be provided for all citizens regardless of wealth or social status. Anything less is fundamentally immoral.

Workplace regulations - what would we do without them? Do you want fingers in your canned chili? I don't. Government is a good thing. It's not corrupted by the profit motive so it can take an objective view as to the safety of not only the things we eat, but also other consumer goods we buy.

Also, we need to keep the drug war in place. Yes, there are some problems, and maybe we should consider the decriminalization of marijuana, but we can't do anything more than that - heroin and cocaine are too dangerous to be made legal. Would you like your child to go to the store and pick up a dime bag?

And really, if you don't like it, you can always leave. There are plenty of other places to live. Me? I like my government. I love America, the land of the free.
Old 04-01-2007, 04:24 AM

Default Re: The government is good!

GET HIM FOR SHOWING US THE TRUTH ABOUT OURSELVES.

And you've just come up with a bunch of discussion points that have since been discussed to death. These are all viewpoints, but if we were to play devil's advocate with all these points then we wouldn't be able to accomplish much today.

Government IS good. Of course it is. But the government the way it's being run now is NOT good. Communism in a utopian society would be amazing, but since when is the world a utopia?
Old 04-01-2007, 04:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But the government the way it's being run now is NOT good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoa whoa whoa. I'll give you some ground on the drug war and the War in Iraq, sure. But other than that I think things are going quite swimmingly. Do you disagree?

You wouldn't be one of the many libertarians that infest this board, would you?
Old 04-01-2007, 05:42 AM

Careful, the anarchists out there will disagree.

*Paging Noam Chomsky*
Old 04-01-2007, 05:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Government is a good thing. It's not corrupted by the profit motive

[/ QUOTE ]

Bureaucrats don't earn money?
Old 04-01-2007, 05:58 AM

Good points, all. I hereby renounce my anarchism. Woo government.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:06 AM

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-01-2007, 10:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I had an epiphany, just now. The state is necessary for the function of our society. It is the glue that holds us all together. Taxes may be irrating,,but they provide for so many things that wouldn't exist otherwise and make our lives easier - roads, courts, police, social workers, etc, and how can that be a bad thing?

Further, one must realize that externalities are a huge problem facing our society, especially with the global warming problem coming up over the horizon. We need to take swift action to reduce our carbon output or soon we won't have an earth.

Moreover, I realize now that it's important to make sure that the weak are cared for, and that man's natural self-interest precludes him from doing this on his own. We need the state to provide a safety net for the poorest in our society, and also to provide them with health care.

Also, let's face it - people aren't exactly good long-term thinkers. I mean, look at how bad they are at poker. Social Security is an excellent way to insure against poor saving by those who are sucked in to the consumerist nature of our culture.

In regard to national security: our homeland is under attack. 9/11 changed everything. And to those wusses who quote Ben Franklin I say this: How can you have liberty if you're dead? We need to stay alive, first and foremost. Even if our government goes about it in a roundabout way, things like the Iraq War show that they have a sound philosophy even if they lack in execution. We need to kill these people before they kill us. Security first. If that means a few people have wiretaps on their phones, so be it - if you are really a good citizen you don't have anything to hide.

We need universal health care. Health care is a basic human right and must be provided for all citizens regardless of wealth or social status. Anything less is fundamentally immoral.

Workplace regulations - what would we do without them? Do you want fingers in your canned chili? I don't. Government is a good thing. It's not corrupted by the profit motive so it can take an objective view as to the safety of not only the things we eat, but also other consumer goods we buy.

Also, we need to keep the drug war in place. Yes, there are some problems, and maybe we should consider the decriminalization of marijuana, but we can't do anything more than that - heroin and cocaine are too dangerous to be made legal. Would you like your child to go to the store and pick up a dime bag?

And really, if you don't like it, you can always leave. There are plenty of other places to live. Me? I like my government. I love America, the land of the free.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT.

All of this occured to me today as well. It's really quite obvious to anyone who sits down and thinks about it for five minutes or so. Kudos on having the guts to stand up for what you believe! It's not easy in this hostile environment.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:27 AM

The irony in this thread is delicious.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:32 AM

I don't appreciate you guys trolling this forum. Will, Shakezula and HMK are all banned. GTFO.