Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2007, 03:34 AM

Default 4/180 JJ hand UTG First Post on MTT

Ive been lurking around here for a while getting the nerve up to post so here it goes.

3rd hand at table no real reads I thought when I sat down it looked like UTG+1 was makin a large reraise against a middle stack preflop. Seems like a standard fold and wait for a better spot with the stacks this deep but I could be weak tight thoughts?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

BB (t1740)
Hero (t11095)
UTG+1 (t14700)
MP1 (t2665)
MP2 (t1460)
CO (t1435)
Button (t2125)
SB (t2330)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t450</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t1050</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, Hero calls t600.

Flop: (t2325) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets t2250</font>, Hero ???
Old 04-01-2007, 10:52 AM

Default Re: 4/180 JJ hand UTG First Post on MTT

Well this is a tough one. I'd probably go broke here if he has an overpair. I'd feel pretty awful about it being this deep stacked though.

Because we don't have any reads yet, TT and a discounted 99 could be in his range as well as high unpaired cards (AK,AQ). So we aren't drawing entirely dead to his range.

I'd call here and see what happens on the turn.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:00 AM

I bet this flop.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:22 AM

Bet 2k on the flop, shut down after that.

Sure looks like an overpair, though. There is rarely tricky play at these levels. For Villain to repop the only other dangerous stack's UTG raise is scary, especially with what amounts to a min-raise. He's not doing this without AK or 99-AA, I don't think. 22-88, AQ call preflop, or put in a real 3-bet.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:12 PM

Tough spot. Players at 180 level are pretty straight-forward, and he's representing something big. More often than not, re-raises at this level tend to be JJ-AA and AK. Given the fact that I'm out of position and against the big stack, I'd be tempted to fold this pre-flop, but that's just me.

I'd have lead out the flop with a bet of around 1800 and hope to take it there and then. Fold to a re-raise.
Old 04-01-2007, 01:08 PM

you are prolly up against an overpair here.just ask yourself what type of hand does your opponent does this with, smells like he has QQ or KK to me and doesnt want to get outdrawn so he is betting out on flop.
Old 04-01-2007, 03:41 PM

Yea figuring he could have anything at this point I ended up laying it down. Next time I was UTG I made a standard 3xBB raise with KK and he did the same thing I pushed he called with AJo I doubled up. Thanks for the replies
Old 04-01-2007, 09:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I bet this flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate this. This is one of those bet for information ideas. If I get raised I can fold, b/c I'm beat and if he folds then I win. The problem is unless villain was raising PF with a worse pair, your play is -EV. You lose more chips when you are behind and you gain no chips when you are ahead.

Because so many players c-bet and then shut down if called on the turn, I think check/calling and then re-evaluating on the turn is the most profitable line.

One thing to keep in mind here is that just b/c this guy has a big stack doesn't mean he is any good. He could be a typical 4/180 donk who got lucky to chip up. Maybe he is really laggy and has been lucky thus far. We don't know.

I'd be careful about assigning a guy with this big of a stack too tight of a range here without any other reads.