Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2007, 10:27 PM

Default String-bet question - what is the rule?

Playing $4/$8 at a B&M I frequent, I'm in the 1 seat and it's my turn to act pre-flop. I have both hands hanging over the rail, one on each side of my chip stack. In each hand I have $4. I glance down, make sure each stack is $4 and without (as I always do) saying "raise", in one fluid motion, I put both hands across the line and into the pot. I set both stacks down side by side for my $4 call and $4 raise. The dealer immediately says "string bet, that's just a call, I watched you and couldn't believe you were really about to do that....". Stunned I said ok and let it go but I don't understand how that's a string bet?

1) If I make one fluid motion with chips across the line with both hands at the exact same time, how is that a string bet? Or is there some rule that says you can only raise with chips in one hand? I've searched online, read Robert's Rules and no where can I find the rule that says this. I understand how it could be construed as a string bet if I put one hand across the line, then the other one followed a second later. However, that is not the case, I'm talking two hands, side by side, one fluid motion forward across the line in unison.

2) That being said, let me ask this..... if that rule is correct does that mean that I could push both hands forward at the same time, just like in the scenario above but only take one hand across the line with the $4 call and stop the other hand just short of the line while flicking my wrist towards the pot (like I'm intending to throw the chips in) and I wouldn't be forced to raise? That seems like that would be an angle shoot to me and a case to force the bet because of the forward motion.

The hand wasn't a big deal at all and I didn't make any issue of it at the time. I always say bet, raise, call etc and I should have said it that time, but I'd really like to know what the rule is here and why.

Thanks
Old 03-31-2007, 10:30 PM

Default Re: String-bet question - what is the rule?

There are some people out there that believe it is a string bet if you make a bet with two hands. They are mistaken. Also you hit on a pet peeve of mine:
[ QUOTE ]
"string bet, that's just a call, I watched you and couldn't believe you were really about to do that...."

[/ QUOTE ]

Particuarly in a smaller game when the dealer is watching a player and his action is clear (he can see he wants to raise), but he is about to fumble the bet in some manner the dealer should stop him and say "just tell tell me what you want to do."
Old 03-31-2007, 10:50 PM

Thank you Randy. That is the answer I needed and I'm glad you weighed in on the subject.

Feel free to lock this thread if you want. I got the definitive info I needed. I'll just make sure I declare my actions to be on the safe side.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:55 AM

I know I'll probably sound like a huge nit here, but once I got called on a string bet in live play, I argued and said I was still farily new and wanted clarification on what was a "string bet". The dealer gave me some sage advice (paraphrasing): "Listen, you said you're just starting to play live, I'm going to give you some advice. The truth is, what is and isn't a string bet is gonna vary from dealer to dealer. Just announce your action, every time, and you don't have to worry about it."

So that's what I do. Every time. Even when I'm just calling a $2 limp with a red at 1/2 NL, and I know everyone knows it's just a call, I still say "call". It's just not worth the aggravation to me of getting in an argument.

On a similiar subject, I've decided I hate betting lines. They are enforced sporadically, if at all, at the rooms I play.
Old 04-01-2007, 01:21 PM

They're not betting lines! They're "don't be a dick; put your bets and cards within the dealer's reach" lines. Granted, some rooms/dealers view it as the point of no return, but that's not what it's supposed to be.
Old 04-01-2007, 02:10 PM

My turn to act. I verbally announce raise. I put in enough chips to match original bet. I then count out two stacks of chips. I put them both in one hand. I reach out and drop them over the line but due to the way I was holding them they came onto the table one stack at a time.

The dealer called string and made me take back the 2nd stack. I didn't argue but I thought the full bet should have stood.

Am I wrong?
Old 04-01-2007, 02:15 PM

What are dealers doing calling string bets? I thought that was the players responsibility?
Old 04-01-2007, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What are dealers doing calling string bets? I thought that was the players responsibility?

[/ QUOTE ]

This depends where you are. I prefer that string bets be called by the players, but the dealer calling it may be gaining momentum in that TDA rules now call for the dealer to call string bets in tournaments.
Old 04-01-2007, 02:57 PM

A dealer called string bet on me at the Wynn, where there is no line on the table. I was cutting out chips right next to my stack, but she said it was in front of the front edge of my cards, so it counted as a bet. I tend to keep my cards fairly close to the rail. It surprised me because I've never had a dealer call that, including any of the other Wynn dealers in the several hours I'd played before that.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They're not betting lines! They're "don't be a dick; put your bets and cards within the dealer's reach" lines. Granted, some rooms/dealers view it as the point of no return, but that's not what it's supposed to be.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's always advertised as a betting line in the rooms I play in, but only infrequently enforced.

So: dude comes over the line with 10 chips, drops 2, and pulls the rest back..

At this point one of several things can happen:

1. dealer warns him that next time, he will have to put those in.Then he may or may not be called next time (the dealer may have changed). This is probably the most common. Sometimes multiple warnings ensue.

2. Dealer makes him bet it all. I probably see this called about every third session I play.

3. Nothing. Probably the most common.

Also, if you are a regular and know the dealers and tip well, 3 is the most likely.