Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2007, 12:02 PM

Default $80 WSOP Sat - BB with Jacks

Just reached the final table of a $80 WSOP sat. Top 4 get a seat in the $650, 5th is insignificant.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (9 handed) internettexasholdem.com

CO (t4405)
Button (t4658)
SB (t10082)
Hero (t5035)
UTG (t4290)
UTG+1 (t4975)
MP1 (t6675)
MP2 (t4555)
MP3 (t9325)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t600</font>, <font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t2000</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t4290</font>, Hero calls t2290.

How should I play this pre-flop? Cause this wasn't it!
Old 03-31-2007, 12:12 PM

Default Re: $80 WSOP Sat - BB with Jacks

3xbb UTG should give you a hint about villain's holdings. If not, as played, the re-raise should. But after putting in all those chips, can you really fold? Probably not.

Yuck. I hate Jax. Make it 1600 or just call. 1600 + an all-in re-raise, you can fold. A flat call, you can play oop cautiously once you see this flop.

At this point in the tourney, I fold 'em oop and move on.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:24 PM

this spot sucks... with an utg raise here I think I just call and evaluate on flop and see how he reacts if we lead out, your stack is healthy enough that you don't want/need to be getting involved in huge pots at this point in the sat. I wonder what a vgood sat player would do here, Im leaning towards calling for set value and not getting too attached to it
Old 03-31-2007, 02:31 PM

Well you are praying to see AK here, but I still think it is a call here as played.

I too would have problems in your spot. I dont think I like flat calling because the guy will probably cbet any flop lower than J high and then you just have to guess. His reraise when it doesnt look like you can fold probably means QQ+ or AK.

Ive never been a fan of miniraising, but it might work here. I know if I got miniraised I would put AA as a possible hand for you. If he goes all in over the mini raise you can fold, if he just calls and then checks.. fire away.

Another idea is just shoving it all in. People can make that play with JJ+ and AQs+, so maybe he will just fold. The amount you raised basically committed you and even if he just called preflop, he will have a hard time laying down AK on any flop to your push.
Old 03-31-2007, 03:02 PM

I was probably stacked no matter how I played this. The flop was 772, and he held QQ. I need to learn how to recognize when I'm beaten, and be willing to let go of JJ. That's hard to do on a low board. An UTG standard raise could be a lot of cards at this point, but I was likely behind or flipping against his range. I'm not sure I could have gotten away from this, but I don't think I took the best line.

I think calling for set value would make the most sense, and letting it go if I don't hit. On a 7 high flop, I doubt I would have been able to let it go, and probably would have gotten to the same result.

Thanks to all for your input,
Kindling