Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2007, 10:25 AM

Default Another dangerous criminal taken into custody

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/31/te.../31gamble.html

"ST. LOUIS, March 30 (AP) — The founder of the BetOnSports gambling Web site, Stephen Kaplan, was arrested late Wednesday in the Dominican Republic, the United States attorney in St. Louis, Catherine Hanaway, said on Friday.

Ms. Hanaway is prosecuting a case against BetOnSports, which is based in London, in federal court in St. Louis. Mr. Kaplan is named in a 22-count criminal case related to Internet gambling.

Mr. Kaplan was arrested at a hotel in Santo Domingo, Ms. Hanaway said, by the Dominican National Police, officials from the United States State Department and the F.B.I.

“This was a worldwide search, and thanks to the assistance of many law enforcement agencies, this fugitive will soon be back in St. Louis to face the charges against him,” she said in a statement.

Mr. Kaplan has been charged in St. Louis along with the former chief executive of the company, David Carruthers, and nine others. Mr. Carruthers remains under house arrest in a suburb of St. Louis."

I feel safer already.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:29 AM

Default Re: Another dangerous criminal taken into custody

Actually, his company never repaid its American customers. I am glad he was arrested for that reason.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:58 AM

Wow the FBI and the Republican justice dept. sure do a good job on EASY TARGETS don't they? Too bad Osama Bin Laden didn't run a poker room or they would have found him and arrested him by now I'm sure.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:09 PM

If only OBL had decided to escape from an international manhunt in a billion dollar case by...renting a hotel room in the middle of a traditionally American party town.

I'm always surprised at how stupid people are when they're in trouble, but you'd think a gambling site op would know better.

edit: I'm glad he was busted too. BOS apparently used US agents to collect money and never paid anyone back - part of the plea negotiations is probably going to involve this.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:15 PM

http://www.actblue.com/page/poker
Old 03-31-2007, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, his company never repaid its American customers. I am glad he was arrested for that reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is true OP needs to edit his post. Don't need to be misinforming people.

(I myself have no idea if it is or not)