Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2007, 02:01 AM

Default Live 4/8 hand

This is probably standard, but what the heck. No reads yet as this about the 5th or so hand in on the sit.

Hero is the BB with K2o, 3 limpers, SB completes, Hero raps,

Flop comes K9K, (2 flush out on the board, none of my suits) SB checks, Hero bets, all fold. Hero wins the pot.

I thought for sure that I'd get some action but they all folded pretty fast. I don't like slow playing this kind of hand but in retrospect, I suppose I could have but I don't like to get FPS on a hand especially out of position with a flush draw out. Standard?

When is it a good time to check a hand like this?
Old 03-31-2007, 02:47 AM

Default Re: Live 4/8 hand

Check it when you have the nuts with all the possible good cards and there's no decent second best hand to be made. The fact that they all folded probably indicates there's no more value in the hand anyway because the loose passives have nothing to which to draw.

If the flop comes KK2 rainbow and the pot's small, I'd consider slowplaying it to let opponents try to pair up at least.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If the flop comes KK2 rainbow and the pot's small, I'd consider slowplaying it to let opponents try to pair up at least.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except one problem with that is if someone bets, and you're the only one that called, it can be pretty obvious that you hold the K. Yet this same player who bet would likely call a bet on the flop also. So it's probably a wash.

The hand in the OP, he could've taken this down with anything he bet on the flop. Which is one reason it's good to bet with a flush draw, pair or trips in this spot. Sure, he took it down with trip Ks here. It'd be nice to take it down with a 5 high flush draw too.

b
Old 03-31-2007, 10:03 AM

I bet and don't worry about it. I also bet some other times too. I would consider slowplaying, if there were muiltiple aggressive players in the pot, and I had ccmpletely killed the deck. but in that case, it is still possible that the aggressive players would bet and raise me if I bet. More than once, I've just bet every time it was my turn, when I flopped a monster, and gotten a lot of action. Just this week it happened, and at the end of the hand, my opponenent says something like, 'I didn't put you on that hand', and I got to say, ' Yeah, I played it pretty deceptively, betting and raising every time when I had the nuts.'.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:34 AM

In a loose game like this...

Approximately never.

When 3 people limp to you, they're loose and will call. There's a FD out there and gutshot straights.

If you bet it, they will call.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:49 AM

Yea, I figured at this typical 4/8 table that betting would stimulate some action. With a hand like this one when in doubt, I bet.

Wonder how often one should bet out in these types of flops with air being 1st to act to try and take it down right there? Sort of touching on what Bernie said.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:14 PM

Live, I believe that this spot is one of the few differences between 2/4 & 3/6 vs. 4/8. I see 4/8 hands checking this flop or folding to the first bettor a lot. I believe betting is still the right thing to do. Your hand isn't that good. It isn't just the flush draw. The other king may be out there and you will be outkicked.

I also like Bernie's thought. Bet out the flush draws and you may take those down too if there is no king around.

IMO, if you have to think about protecting your hand, it isn't good enough for slowplay.
Old 04-01-2007, 01:32 AM

Today a very similar hand came up. Older tight guy was in the BB and the flop came down KKx, he bet and we all folded. He said that he didn't want to get drawn out on and I can't blame him.
Old 04-01-2007, 03:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Live, I believe that this spot is one of the few differences between 2/4 & 3/6 vs. 4/8. I see 4/8 hands checking this flop or folding to the first bettor a lot. I believe betting is still the right thing to do. Your hand isn't that good. It isn't just the flush draw. The other king may be out there and you will be outkicked.

I also like Bernie's thought. Bet out the flush draws and you may take those down too if there is no king around.

IMO, if you have to think about protecting your hand, it isn't good enough for slowplay.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I flop a big hand, I try to represent as many hands as possible.

b
Old 04-01-2007, 04:16 AM

I would have done the same. If there wasn't a gutshot or flush draw possible I will slow down about 25% of the time. nh OP