Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2007, 07:27 PM

Default Worst Decision to Go Pro Early Ever

I'm interested in hearing some other stories of guys who crashed and burned trying to go to the NBA early. I'm sure there are the stories of high school guys who ended up not getting drafted and stuff, but Marcus Taylor is currently my choice for this.

Marcus was Mr. Basketball in Michigan in 2000, McDonald's All-American, USA Today Prep All-American First Team, and the heir apparent to Mateen Cleaves as a point guard at Michigan State. His arrival on campus was likened to that of Magic Johnson and, along with Zach Randolph, was one of the more heralded recruiting classes for MSU in recent memory.

Marcus did OK his freshmen year when he split time as a starter and reserve. His sophomore year though, he led the Big 10 in scoring and made the All-Big 10 first team. Then, inexplicably, he left for the NBA. Nobody had him projected going in the first round that year. It made no sense. Analysts said that had he waited a year or two to declare he could have easily been in the lottery or top 5. I can only imagine how furious Izzo was. The only thing I can think of was that there had to have been some off court issues or something that required him to get out of town. I still cry when I think that MSU could have been starting Jason Richardson, Zach Randolph, and him all at once had they all stayed.

Anyway, post some stories of other guys who made terrible decisions. Stories of guys who stayed in school too long and cost themselves a fortune are also good.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:29 PM

Default Re: Worst Decision to Go Pro Early Ever

Definitely NOT Randolph Morris.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:30 PM

didnt darius washington leave early last year???

hes pretty bad
Old 03-30-2007, 07:40 PM

Here's a couple (I'll think of more later)
:
Scottie Thurman - year too long (not that he would have been a great pro)
Leon Smith - HS to pros (kid just had many, many issues)
Matt Walsh/Anthony Roberson - neither drafted. I think they are sitting on NBA benches now.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:40 PM

Yinka Dare

Edit: I didn't realize that he was drafted 14th overall, so financially it wasn't such a horrible decision. But he definitely needed two more years to fix up his game.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:44 PM

Kennedy Winston. Still dont know how he didnt get picked in that draft.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:04 PM

Louis Williams is up there
Old 03-30-2007, 08:14 PM

there was some BYU qb who came out early years ago and totally crashed and burned. i dont even think he lasted one year. had been talked about how he would be a 1st round pick if he had stayed in school
Old 03-30-2007, 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Analysts said that had he waited a year or two to declare he could have easily been in the lottery or top 5.

[/ QUOTE ]

I gotta call BS on this one. Theres nothing magical about college coaching. If a team thought that he would be a top 5 talent with a year's worth of coaching, then they'd draft him and hire him his own personal coach to work with him in practice each day.

In fact, I've never really gotten the whole "he needed another year of school" type of thing. I mean, aren't the coaches in the pros better than in college(or at least they have more of them and can devote more time to each player)? Aren't the facilities nicer? And most importantly, isn't the level of competition in an NBA practice and game much higher than in college? Why does in benefit someone to play in college more than in the pros?

Now understand I'm speaking strictly about the physical aspects. I understand that mentally some guys may not be ready to have tons of money, be a star, and have to deal with the NBA lifestyle.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:57 PM

A lot of players grow and improve more by playing against lesser competition than they would by practicing and rarely playing against superior competition. Especially at a position like PG, where physical skills should be a secondary consideration to how well the player can run the team, a player can jump far in the draft if he comes back for a year and suddenly "gets it"