Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2007, 07:04 PM

Default Once Upon a Time in America (possible spoilers)

For those who have seen the movie, I'd like your take on whether or not the events we see take place in the film in the late 1960's are real or just an opium induced dream that Noodles is having. I've seen it argued both ways.

My take is that I lean towards it being an opium induced dream because that makes the ending more logical than Max's character really surviving and becoming a politician and so on. But if it is a dream, than why and who took the money out of the suitcase in the locker when Noodles went to look for it after the rest of the crew had seemingly been killed. Had Max already taken the money out previously?

I have only seen the film twice (the real version) and actually just went to buy the dvd at Best Buy and they didn't have it (a million movies in that place and they don't have one of the best). But, I'd like to hear some of your takes on this and the film in general. It is one of my favorites.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:27 PM

Default Re: Once Upon a Time in America (possible spoilers)

Its one of my favorite movies as well, definitely top 3. Unfortunately its been a few years since ive seen it since i don't own it. From what i remember i always thought that all the events were real, and it wasn't opium induced haze but rather opium induced memories. I really have to watch it again as soon as possible.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:44 PM

Available via the "Watch it Now" feature on Netflix. Just watched it a couple weeks ago. Agree that Best Buy should have it.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:06 AM

i agree that i felt the memories were induced, but not any events.

best scored movie ever, btw
Old 03-30-2007, 12:56 PM

yea agree about the music, it's absolutely gripping. Plus the acting. And the story, just about everything about this movie rules, anyone who hasn't seen it is missing out.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:59 PM

Sergio Leone rules, my grandpa has a ton of his italian movies, i remember watching a bunch when I was a kid.

I always thought everything was real in once upon a time, but i never went into it thinking maybe he was dreaming, I will have to re-watch.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:21 PM

Btw, anyone realize that the little girl is Jennifer Connolly when she's like 13. She was a cute kid!
Old 03-30-2007, 01:24 PM

once upon a time in america trailer (youtube)
Old 03-30-2007, 01:45 PM

from wiki

Opponents of the "Dream Theory" cite the fact that the 1968 sequences include several anecdotes - music from The Beatles (see below), television, and references to the Vietnam War - that did not exist in 1933, and that Noodles would thus not be able to envision such things. Furthermore, they claim that to dub the later scenes a dream would remove the thematic and psychological point of the film.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Btw, anyone realize that the little girl is Jennifer Connolly when she's like 13. She was a cute kid!

[/ QUOTE ]

Her first movie. She did Labyrinth a few years later and started blowing up like the World Trade.

FWIW, I love the scenes when they're all kids, but do NOT like much of the rest. I'm not wild about a lot of the casting (aside from the big names), and I don't advise anyone try suicide via garbage truck. I do like the Danny Aiello scenes.

First half is awesome, tho.