Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2007, 04:01 PM

Default Tailgating (Football Games)

I, like many others, was disappointed that the other thread wasn't about tailgating before football games so I decided to start a thread.

If you're going to tailgate right, there are several essential items you must possess:

- Grill
- Tent
- Table
- Chairs
- Coolers full of beer and ice
- TV
- Stereo

You also must find an ideal location which is level and spacious enough for all your gear.

I tailgate before every home Nebraska football game. The overall tailgating atmosphere is pretty average at best, compared to many other footballs sites, since the UNL campus is located downtown and most people go to the bars before games. But our tailgating setup is balla, and we have a great time.

I also tailgated at Ames for the Iowa St. - NU game last season, and it was absolutely nuts. We were in one of the grass lots across from the stadium with mostly students, and it was a spring break like atmosphere. Someone even brought a wooden platform with a stripper pole!

The last game I tailgated at was the Big 12 Championship Game, at Arrowhead Stadium. It was one of the coldest days of the year and the bathroom situation was horrible (average 20 minute wait in line). We combined our tent with some other Husker fans next to us, and luckily they had a heater which helped a ton.

We usually arrive at our tailgating site about 5.5 hours before kickoff, and set up on one of the grass islands in the softball parking lot. For the Texas game this year (11 am kickoff), we arrived on site at 6:30 am! Our overall setup time is less than a 1/2 hour

We have a portable propane grill, which is collapsable. You can get one for a reasonable price at any fishing/wilderness store (i.e. Bass Pro Shop, etc.).

For morning games, we'll cook sausage, eggs, bacon, and make breakfast burritos. For afternoon and night games, we'll cook hamburgers, brats, wings, hot dogs, jalapeno poppers, and steaks (people have to bring their own steaks), and of course there are chips and pretzels.

We have coolers full of ice, beer (no kegs allowed, which is standard at many sites), and bottled water. We buy all the food and beverages the night before, and just divide the cost by however many people are coming to our tailgate.

It's absolutely imperative to have a tent. We only put up 2 sides of the tent, and it will shield everything from the wind, keep you dry when it rains, provide shade from the sun when it's hot, and provide extra warmth when it's cold. When buying a tent, don't go for one of the cheap ones -- it will be lucky to last an entire season. Spend the extra $$$ to get a quality tent online (I think ours cost like $360), as it will last a lot longer. A good wind will rip up one of those cheap tents pretty easily.

At most of the games, we have a satellite dish, so we're able to watch any of the ongoing games. One time last year, we had a playstation set up too.

Of course we have a football to throw around, and also a couple games, like washers, and the one with the golfballs attached to strings (can't remember what it's called, lol). We'll listen to some games on the radio, but usually we just play loud music.

About 45 minutes before kickoff, we start taking everything down, and pack it up. This usually takes less than 20 minutes. Then we'll grab one more beer for the walk to the bridge which leads to the stadium, and we're inside on the way to our seats by the time kickoff occurs.

If you're going to tailgate, you have to do it right! Don't be one of those chumps who show up in a car with only a cooler of beer and some chips!
Old 03-29-2007, 04:12 PM

Default Re: Tailgating (Football Games)

I always make an effort to bring a beer pong table.

Best tailgait I've ever been to: Penn State, by far. I heard somewhere that it ranks best in the country, and I beleive it. Tailgaiting at an Eagles game was also pretty good.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I always make an effort to bring a beer pong table.

Best tailgait I've ever been to: Penn State, by far. I heard somewhere that it ranks best in the country, and I beleive it. Tailgaiting at an Eagles game was also pretty good.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've been to Penn State games, their tailgaiting is almost as good as it is in Madison for the Wisconsin games. Although it's not exactly tailgaiting. There are a lot of house parties as Camp Randall is surrounded by student neighborhoods.

Some of my favorites: 3 story beer bongs, beer pong in the side walk and Drink-O (A plinko variant).
Old 03-29-2007, 04:24 PM

I have Bills season tickets and it's some of the best tailgating known to man. I personally think bringing a TV and/or video games is lame. Washers or some other lot game should be on the checklist. Quality burgers and brats are a must. There is nothing quite like that first can of beer at the crack of dawn.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have Bills season tickets and it's some of the best tailgating known to man. I personally think bringing a TV and/or video games is lame. Washers or some other lot game should be on the checklist. Quality burgers and brats are a must. There is nothing quite like that first can of beer at the crack of dawn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, except for the fact that Buffalo is snowy and cold as [censored], which brings down the overall tailgaiting experience, imo. Btw, thanks for Takeo.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, except for the fact that Buffalo is snowy and cold as [censored], which brings down the overall tailgaiting experience, imo. Btw, thanks for Takeo.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can tailgate in Buffalo without weather concerns until November in most cases...

...its not cold and retched 90% of the time...I tailgated at 4 games last year and only once did the weather suck, and it was just a little rainy...

...other than that clear skys and drinking from 9am to 7pm, along with washers and tons of great food
Old 03-29-2007, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Buffalo isn't that cold. Lotta snow though...

Tailgating in Minneapolis basically sucks, but it doesn't have anything to do with the weather. It's just where the dome is relative to parking and other crap.

I've heard there is great tailgating at Lambeau for Packer games. Cold yes, but that's what propane heaters are for.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the bathroom situation was horrible (average 20 minute wait in line).

[/ QUOTE ]

Forget bathrooms, I tailgate in Cleveland a lot, people just go wherever they want....
Old 03-29-2007, 04:48 PM

It sucks that places are starting to ban tailgating.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:48 PM

I was officially initiated to the wonderous world of tailgating when I started dating my wife who attended Kansas State at the time (along with her brother, both parents, some of the grandparents, most cousins and other relatives...). Manhattan, KS definitely has the requirements for a good tailgating venue (rural campus with lots of huge parking lots around, decently comfortable temperature around football time, lots of people with nothing better to do than drink beer and grill for six hours each Saturday, etc.)

My wife's brother always did a fine job when it came to organizing/hosting/cooking for these parties. A typical season would consist of much more than merely hot dogs and burgers; a deep fat-fried turkey for the game around Thanksgiving, hauling out the trailer-mounted smoker for at least two games per year and so on.

Of course now he's graduated and we're about to move two thousand miles away so we'll see what happens in the future...anyone know if Dartmouth College has a significant tailgating scene?

Swede