Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2007, 03:59 PM

Default [DS] Puzzle Quest?

Anybody played Puzzle Quest? Is it worth buying new or should I just wait and get it when the price falls a little? Penny Arcade is raving about it, so I'm thinking I should, but maybe you guys have had different experiences with it.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:04 PM

Default Re: [DS] Puzzle Quest?

some of my friends are into it. there are big technical differences between the ds and psp versions. the pc trial is free though, so you can at least use that to make a purchase decision and worry about the platform later.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:08 AM

Puzzle Quest is fun, but vastly overrated for a game of its genre. Having played both, Tetris Attack is by far the best competitive skill based puzzle game I have ever played. It's not even close. Unfortunately, it's only available for the SNES, although I'm holding out hope for the Wii VC.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:07 AM

I downloaded the PC trial yesterday and played it for hours. I really enjoyed it. I'm going to pick up the PSP version today.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Puzzle Quest is fun, but vastly overrated for a game of its genre. Having played both, Tetris Attack is by far the best competitive skill based puzzle game I have ever played. It's not even close. Unfortunately, it's only available for the SNES, although I'm holding out hope for the Wii VC.

[/ QUOTE ]

i've only heard of tetris attack, but i haven't played it. does it have rpg elements? i believe that's a lot of puzzle quest's allure. i think tetris attack was also redone as a pokemon puzzle game for the n64 and again released along with dr. mario as a 2-in-1 gba game, so if you want a copy you could look along those lines.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i've only heard of tetris attack, but i haven't played it. does it have rpg elements? i believe that's a lot of puzzle quest's allure. i think tetris attack was also redone as a pokemon puzzle game for the n64 and again released along with dr. mario as a 2-in-1 gba game, so if you want a copy you could look along those lines.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, that's a good point. Tetris Attack is a straight up puzzler. Two things that make it great are the ability to setup combos (which takes a lot of skill to do right), and the ability to give a player a speed handicap. It's a great 2 player game because it's easy for beginners to understand, but very difficult to master (being able to build 10x+ combos). The Pokemon game for N64 really didn't live up to its predecessor.

I didn't like Puzzle Quest because it seemed like your ability to plan ahead was limited, but I can see how it would be a superior 1 player game. Tetris Attack has a nice AI, but it's really best played with a group.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:21 PM

it might still be worth checking out the gba version, it's not under the pokemon moniker and it's reportedly different. the root game is apparently "panel de pon". it kinda looks like a puyo puyo style puzzle game dynasty. that one spawned dr robotnik's mean bean machine, kirby's avalanche, etc.

everyone i know that owns puzzle quest is playing it single player. only one guy made a multiplayer comment in an email chain, and that was to observe that he thinks the higher-leveled character should always win.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Ok, that's a good point. Tetris Attack is a straight up puzzler. (....)

[/ QUOTE ]

I really believe Tetris Attack is one of the best video games ever. I used to work in games and we played it all the time. All the things you mention are quite rare in games - the combination of twitch & strategy, plus a really good handicap system.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:52 PM

Ok, I need to come back to this thread because I checked out the demo and loved it. I still wish the puzzle system was something more interesting than Bejewelled, but the RPG elements are fun. The only knock is that because it's using the Bejewelled system, there's a ton of luck involved with which pieces fill the screen after others are cleared. Fun game though, I might even buy it for my DS.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, I need to come back to this thread because I checked out the demo and loved it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I checked it out and loved it enough to get the game for my DS today. It's pretty fun -- I keep playing the first few quests over and over again trying to decide what class of player to use.

Also, on the DS, has anyone else noticed that it's pretty hard to tell the difference between green and yellow tiles? I wonder if it would be better with the DS Lite (better screen).