Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2007, 01:53 PM

Default Net paranoia

Cliff's notes at bottom.

I started up this baby blog when we found out the wife was preggers. The primary reason is my folks live 200 miles away and their internet connection tops out at a whopping 22k so emailing them pics isn't feasible. They can hit the site whenever they want so it's easier for them, etc.

When I first started the wife was a little worried about the public info. We agreed that no real names would be used and we would post any info like addresses or phone numbers. Whenever I take a pic of the front of the house, I photoshop out the house number.

Originally she said that she didn't want any pictures of herself, and I agreed. I thought it was stupid, but not worth arguing over. Eventually she changed her mind.

So here we are some 2 years later. There's over 500 pics out there. Her and her friends (the bitch club) are talking and they are totally freaking out about how could we have all those pictures in public on the net and peophiles will be stalking the kid now and identity theft, etc. Really panicked, paranoid, and unreasonable fears, I think anyway.

So now she's having second thoughts and asked me about pulling the plug on the whole thing and I think that's just plain silly. Yes, I know all someone has to do is a whois lookup on the domain and they will have my address, but I still can't believe anyone is lurking blogs to find victims. The site gets 3 hits a day.

Am I putting the boy in harm's way?

(PM me if you want the URL, but it's nothing exciting, I assure you. Just baby pictures and what the kid did that day and junk.)

Cliff's notes: wife is paranoid over pics of our son on the internets (no other identfying info, just pics).
Old 03-29-2007, 01:58 PM

Default Re: Net paranoia

Obviously there is always a chance, but its a very miniscule one. I personally wouldnt worry, but thats just me.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:09 PM

Default Re: Net paranoia

Wife and I are putting up pics of the new one to flickr. I think you can set up a private group and then only give the password to friends/family.