Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2007, 04:01 PM

Default 5 card draw advise much needed

Could anyone give me some quick pointers on how to play this game if not well then at least just less donkylicious. Answering these questions would be greatly appreciated. Forgive me for sounding noob.

- Which hands do I limp with and which hands do I raise with? Before the discarding round in general

- Should I play limit og PLO 5CD?

- If I have a pair in my hand should I draw for the set?

- What does it tell me when people only discard a single card og when they discard 3?

- Any other advise for a beginner would also be nice or maybe a link to a thread.

Thanks in advance
Old 03-28-2007, 05:23 PM

Default Re: 5 card draw advise much needed

[ QUOTE ]
- Which hands do I limp with and which hands do I raise with? Before the discarding round in general - Hands improve less that you'd expect. Mostly, your one pair is still one pair, or 2 pair is still two pair...and your flush draws always miss. Its the same for your opponents.
So when you think its likely you have the best hand predraw, you want to be raising. Theres only 2 streets to make the pot. And if you think your hand probably isn't best, dont put any money in, 'cause you wont improve very often. So dont limp, if you want to play the pot, open for a raise. *yes, worse hands will call. believe me [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Be tight-aggressive, fold most pairs. Youll want to have a face pair or better to get in there, but come in for a raise, and dont be afraid to raise over anyone who limped ahead of you. They limp with flush draws and small pairs, and will miss most of the time...charge them NOW - it will be too late after the draw.

whatever suits you - try them both [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

if you are already in the pot, then draw 3 for trips. but hands like 66xxx you dont even play, just chuck them, it wont win unimproved - which is most likely

- What does it tell me when people only discard a single card og when they discard 3?

What predictable villains have, rules of thumb:
Raised, drew 3 - face pair, most likely AA/KK
Limped, drew 3 - lesser pair, they drawing to like 88 or TT or something.
Raised, drew 1 - Trips/2pr/draw , most fish like to limp their draws, so give him credit for a good hand. Fold unless you can beat a decent 2pair.
Limped, drew 1 - Its alot more likely he was drawing, now. Good news: he probably missed, bad news: its too late to bet. Some people will bluff their misses, and some will never bluff, and some will half-bluff when they make a pair. And others still are real deceptive and have limped in with 2 pairs all along. Moral: observe opponents, make notes. Learn their habits. You can check-call the bluffer if you have an OK pair.

- Any other advise for a beginner would also be nice or maybe a link to a thread. just browse around, theres a date filter at bottom of lobby, turn that off so see old posts (its all been posted somewhere if you look)

Thanks in advance

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-28-2007, 05:56 PM

the 2 biggest mistakes new players in draw make is - limp shorts constantly (pair of tens or lower, which should be mucked unless you are in SB and no raises) and limping draws without getting odds (PL it may not be near as bad as it is in limit, but i play limit, so...) youll profit off them
Old 03-28-2007, 07:02 PM

Playing shorts was my biggest leak, especially when I do hit a set only to be beat by a larger set.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:21 AM

Big Limpin explained 5CD very well. It gets a little more advanced but just make sure you note your opponents. It will help out. Also higher and lower limits are very different as well. And be more aggressive when its short handed. For example TT is usually a strong hand when its 2-3 handed but at a fulltable its usually not.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
- Which hands do I limp with and which hands do I raise with? Before the discarding round in general - Hands improve less that you'd expect. Mostly, your one pair is still one pair, or 2 pair is still two pair...and your flush draws always miss. Its the same for your opponents.
So when you think its likely you have the best hand predraw, you want to be raising. Theres only 2 streets to make the pot. And if you think your hand probably isn't best, dont put any money in, 'cause you wont improve very often. So dont limp, if you want to play the pot, open for a raise. *yes, worse hands will call. believe me [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Be tight-aggressive, fold most pairs. Youll want to have a face pair or better to get in there, but come in for a raise, and dont be afraid to raise over anyone who limped ahead of you. They limp with flush draws and small pairs, and will miss most of the time...charge them NOW - it will be too late after the draw.

whatever suits you - try them both [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

if you are already in the pot, then draw 3 for trips. but hands like 66xxx you dont even play, just chuck them, it wont win unimproved - which is most likely

What predictable villains have, rules of thumb:
Raised, drew 3 - face pair, most likely AA/KK
Limped, drew 3 - lesser pair, they drawing to like 88 or TT or something.
Raised, drew 1 - Trips/2pr/draw , most fish like to limp their draws, so give him credit for a good hand. Fold unless you can beat a decent 2pair.
Limped, drew 1 - Its alot more likely he was drawing, now. Good news: he probably missed, bad news: its too late to bet. Some people will bluff their misses, and some will never bluff, and some will half-bluff when they make a pair. And others still are real deceptive and have limped in with 2 pairs all along. Moral: observe opponents, make notes. Learn their habits. You can check-call the bluffer if you have an OK pair.

- Any other advise for a beginner would also be nice or maybe a link to a thread. just browse around, theres a date filter at bottom of lobby, turn that off so see old posts (its all been posted somewhere if you look)

Thanks in advance

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good post.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:57 AM

advice

there is PLO 5CD? Am I confused or does this mean Pot Limit Omaha 5 Card Draw... if it is then want to play.

Either way what limpin said is right
Old 03-30-2007, 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

there is PLO 5CD? Am I confused or does this mean Pot Limit Omaha 5 Card Draw... if it is then want to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you can only use two cards to make a hand -- so I guess basic strategy is to always exchange three.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:17 PM

thanks a lot guys [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

my bad about the PL(O) been playing to much omaha
Old 03-30-2007, 05:20 PM

Have you lost your mind? Why would you guys give free lessons on here for just anyone to see? Are you aware of how small the draw circuit is? No offense to the initial poster in here however I have taught draw lessons for quite a while in which I get paid to do so, and even then I am selective about who I coach because it is such a small circuit. However the game I coach and play will never be defeated by such basic play as described here. But though it is basic again I must ask, Have you guys lost your mind?