Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2007, 01:08 PM

Default SEMI OT: Convincing my dad

Alright, currently my parents don't know that all this poker playing im doing is for money, and I plan on telling them once i turn 18 (may). THis summer, i REALLLY dont want to have to get a real job, but I really want to play poker all summer which would be impossible without my dad knowing about it AND approving it. Lately he has been pressuring me to get a real job I think because he thinks I have no source of income. Once I turn 18, Im sure my dad will be fine with me playing poker for money, but I also thinks he wants me to find a real job because he doesn't believe anyone can consistently make money playing poker (all luck, just cards, gambling etc...). How do I approach this?
Old 03-28-2007, 01:19 PM

Default Re: SEMI OT: Convincing my dad

Do both. Get an easy part time job, make some new friends, enjoy it, if you hate it tell your dad you hate it and show him your profits playing poker over the period that you had a real job.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do both. Get an easy part time job, make some new friends, enjoy it, if you hate it tell your dad you hate it and show him your profits playing poker over the period that you had a real job.

[/ QUOTE ]

And when you show him be super organized ... quote ROI and show where the numbers come from. have charts.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:24 PM

most people are this way, the best way is to keep results and show graphs to show consistency and winrate etc, this can prove your godlikeness in cards
Old 03-28-2007, 01:24 PM

Not to be negative, but if you don't have a large sample size of games played so far (1000+) its likely that you don't have an accurate idea of your ROI and you may not be a winning player. If you don't have bills or anything else then its not a big deal if you find out you really aren't making money, but I would try to be fairly certain you know how you are doing before you decide to make poker your job.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:27 PM

ive played over 4k SNGs

i disregard my stats at the 3.40s because they include a large learning curve, but over my last 1k games at them i think i had 25% ROI

~1500 games at 6.50s, 25% ROI? ish...around there

about 1500 games at 16s, having a tough time adapting but i am putting a lot more time to learning, i have maybe 5% ROI at them now (9 and 12 tabling, yes it was stupid, but now i 6 table really concentrating).

so in response to kevin, im pretty sure im a winning player, not a great player, but probably a winning one
Old 03-28-2007, 01:30 PM

Does your dad have an understanding of statistic and probability?

There are basically two routes I would go down depending on your 'read' of your dad.

1) To convince a business or mathematically savvy dad, you need to demonstrate to him how you understand the variance of the game and can calculate you likely win rate. You should be able to demonstrate this through data you've collected. Also make sure to point out to him that you're planning on going to school and that your opportunity to utilize this knowledge will become decreased as you have to concentrate more on your school work. I'd get RVGs simulator to actually show him the variance.

2) Without him able to understand the math, you need to appeal to his practical nature. Instead of explaining it to him, you need to prove it to him. Make a deal with him that if you don't make X in the first month, you'll find a job. X needs to be about twice the amount you'd make on any crap job a teenager can get. Then you need to pwn.

My brother dealt with this kind of crap when he was student at Phillip's Andover. He was trying to get time off of school to travel internationally for Magic the Gathering tournies. At the time, he was between 16 and 18, considered one of the most talented players in the world, and the most read strategy writer (basically the Sklansky of MTG). The school tried to have him expelled despite great grades because he basically gave them to middle finger when they told him he couldn't go to this stuff. He (and my mother, bless her) argued that if he was a world champion wrestler (another team he was on with much less success) this wouldn't be an issue. They suspended him or something like that in the end but he was able to keep going.

OK, that story wasn't as relevant as I first imagined but whatever. I'm distracting myself from work.

Good luck.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:32 PM

Your numbers are solid. Getting a part-time job is a good idea. You might not want to play as much poker as you think you will too.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ive played over 4k SNGs

i disregard my stats at the 3.40s because they include a large learning curve, but over my last 1k games at them i think i had 25% ROI

~1500 games at 6.50s, 25% ROI? ish...around there

about 1500 games at 16s, having a tough time adapting but i am putting a lot more time to learning, i have maybe 5% ROI at them now (9 and 12 tabling, yes it was stupid, but now i 6 table really concentrating).

so in response to kevin, im pretty sure im a winning player, not a great player, but probably a winning one

[/ QUOTE ]

When you tell your dad about this make sure you know the exact number and show some stats. Show him sharkscope maybe.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:34 PM

If Kibby was your dad it would be easy!!

Your dad may say "ok" but don't come crying to me for $$$ if you want to go out with your buddies ... you must honestly be alright with that