Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2007, 09:56 AM

Default OT- Magic shows? Advice plz

Going to Vegas with the girlfriend in June as a 4-5 day vacation.

Doing couple/tourist stuff and GF wants to see a magic show. Whats my play here? Where should we go/ who to see?
Old 03-28-2007, 10:51 AM

Default Re: OT- Magic shows? Advice plz

If you're a fan of big stage magic, I'm not sure I can help you as I find it awful. However, IMO, you can't go wrong with either Penn & Teller or The Amazing Jonahthan show.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're a fan of big stage magic, I'm not sure I can help you as I find it awful. However, IMO, you can't go wrong with either Penn & Teller or The Amazing Jonahthan show.

[/ QUOTE ]

Johnathan just announced he is retiring, his heart is bad - "its for his health". Strange timing, it happened right after the Sahara was bought by new owners. Even stranger, all of the acts at the Sahara announced they are leaving.... hmmm....
Old 03-28-2007, 11:52 AM

Lance Burton does a good mix of stage magic and sleight of hand, plus he has great stage presence and the ticket is reasonably priced.

The Mac King comedy and magic show at Harrah's in the afternoon is a real bargain. You can usually find 2 for 1 coupons or a free drink coupon, and at $20 or so a ticket, it's a good time. Repeat - afternoon show, dark Sundays.

Penn and Teller displayed multiple talents, and did some good tricks. Ironically for an act where only one guy talks, they talked far too much. I felt as if I were being lectured, and I even agree with their libertarian politics. Plus the ticket is a lot more than the other two mentioned.

I would see Lance Burton again before I saw Penn and Teller.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:09 PM

Mike Close used to do a small-scale close-up magic show in the Houdini Lounge at the Monte Carlo. This guy was absolutely great (don't take my word for it, ask Penn & Teller) but I have no idea if he's still there. (Anyone?)

I'm sure you and your GF would enjoy it.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:38 PM

Mac King does a great show. I liked Penn & Teller also - if you see them, take your camera as they come out to the lobby after the show to schmooze.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:38 PM

The Orleans has Rick Thomas for $27.50. I was going to see it but I was there the day before it started so maybe someone else can comment on it.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Johnathan just announced he is retiring, his heart is bad - "its for his health". Strange timing, it happened right after the Sahara was bought by new owners.

[/ QUOTE ]
There was also the interesting revelation a week or two ago that Sahara security spied on The Amazing for a long while. They planted cameras in his dressing room (which ain't legal). They thought he might be doing drugs back there, or some such.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Going to Vegas with the girlfriend in June as a 4-5 day vacation.

Doing couple/tourist stuff and GF wants to see a magic show. Whats my play here? Where should we go/ who to see?

[/ QUOTE ]

These are the three magic shows I've seen in Vegas:

1. Rick Thomas: this is a cheap but fun show. It's definitely not high class / high budget, so if this is meant to be a romantic date with the GF or something like that, it would not be appropriate. (Think popcorn and 10 yr olds) But, it was a fun show and I enjoyed it a lot.

2. Penn & Teller: This is an awesome show! It's a great combination of comedy and magic and just good general entertainment. Highly recommended.

3. Lance Burton: This was good as well. It's a pure "magic show", as opposed to Penn & Teller which is like a comedy/talking thing too. I enjoyed it, but I'm not sure it was worth the cost - I paid full price though, if you can get a discount or something then who knows.

Overall I would recommend P&T.