Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Agree or disagree?
Yes 3 25.00%
No 9 75.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-28-2007, 08:28 AM

Default Al Gore for President: The Inconvenient Truth

Obvious? Farfetched? Maybe farfetched, but not as farfetched as just a short few weeks ago. There is historical precedent here.

Examine what prediction markets have to say.

The facts:

He's a brilliant debater

He wants it bad

He's in position
Positioning Details

The Dems need a candidate
Even if they pretend they have one, he can run Indy

He does not ever rule out running in 2008

He is making moves
DC Global Warming-a-thon and Concert

Place yer bets
InTrade.com Prediction Markets

From Rolling Stone (link above)
[ QUOTE ]
'Very few people who run for president can just step in when they want, with a superstar, titanic presence,' says James Carville, the dean of Democratic strategists. 'But Gore clearly is one of those. He's going to run, and he's going to be formidable. If he didn't run, I'd be shocked.'

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-28-2007, 09:15 AM

Default Re: Al Gore for President: The Inconvenient Truth

By coincidence we watched Inconvenient Truth last night.

It would be an understatement to say I was not impressed. Tell me, what does Al's son being hit by a car or his sister getting cancer have to do with global warming?

It was total propaganda with Al cast in the role of the knight in shining armor.

The Poker Mom
Old 03-28-2007, 10:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He's a brilliant debater

[/ QUOTE ]

His debates against GWB kinda went down in political infamy...

not so much the content of what he was saying, but rather how odd he seemed in them (the forced sighing, the bright orange make up, the "lock box" repitition, etc.)

Alot of people think the debates actually cost him the election (please resist the urge to post your 'omfg it was stolenz from him' rants, you know what I mean)

That having been said I think Gore wins the general election if he were to get the Democratic nomination. In fact I think any white male Democrat wins the 2008 election easily. For some reason the Dems think now is a good time to experiment...
Old 03-28-2007, 11:56 AM

Yes The Democrats have decided to not let white males run, the party sent out a memo saying only minorities and women need apply. Give me a break. No one thinks its time to experiment, there just happens to be 3 non white men running who also happen to be in the top 4 in polling.

Anyways, Gore is not running. He has said he is not almost every time asked. I suppose there is a small chance he will run if he wins the nobel prize, but i doubt it. Both Hillary and Obama have top notch staffs and Edwards has a good one too, so Gore would have to scramble to get a good staff together. Fundraising would be easy, but if NH is going to be in DEC he might not have enough time. So while he has not made a Shermanesque statment, im pretty sure his no means no.

Also Carville made that remark as a way to try and get people to stop going to Obama and Edwards. Hes obviously behind Hillary, and the more people they can stop from supporting either Edwards or Obama the better for them.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:56 PM

For those in the know, does Gore still carry some animosity towards the Clintons? I've heard many rumors that he has always assigned some level of blame towards Bill for the 2000 race.

As far as the Democratic race in general, two new Iowa polls have John Edwards out in front. University of Iowa has it Edwards 33, Clinton 31, Obama 19. The Zogby poll in Iowa has Edwards 27, Clinton 25, Obama 23.

Edwards did well in Iowa in 2004, and if the Clinton-Obama thing gets nasty at all, Edwards is certainly a safe alternative to voters wanting something else.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For those in the know, does Gore still carry some animosity towards the Clintons? I've heard many rumors that he has always assigned some level of blame towards Bill for the 2000 race.

As far as the Democratic race in general, two new Iowa polls have John Edwards out in front. University of Iowa has it Edwards 33, Clinton 31, Obama 19. The Zogby poll in Iowa has Edwards 27, Clinton 25, Obama 23.

Edwards did well in Iowa in 2004, and if the Clinton-Obama thing gets nasty at all, Edwards is certainly a safe alternative to voters wanting something else.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes but he also fears they're politcal attack machine, having seen it first hand, and that supposedly is a huge reason he doesn't want to tango with Hillary.

I'm hoping Chuck Hagel gets the Rep nomination by some miracle so I can feel ok voting for a republican when Hillary ends up the nominee
Old 03-28-2007, 03:08 PM

Well keep in mind Chuck Hagel is THE most conservative member of the house, so voting for him over Hillary might not be such a good idea.

I dont think Gore can really harbor ill feelings due to 2000, most thinking shows that him distancing himself from Clinton actually hurt more then it helped.

Edwards does have a shot, i just dont think its a good one. He would have to win or place 2nd in IA, NH, NV AND SC in order to do good on the first Super Primary day. Thats a tall order vs. 2 very well funded opponents who the public likes more.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:15 PM

Gore wins vs. Hagel
Newt
Rudy
McCain

Would like to see Gore and Hilary on a ticket together to bring back the Clinton/Gore admin policies.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well keep in mind Chuck Hagel is THE most conservative member of the house, so voting for him over Hillary might not be such a good idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Slight correction to this. Hagel is in the Senate and while he has a high lifetime ACU score (85%), there are some Republicans with higher scores.

As far as your general point, you are correct. Hagel is a lot like McCain: a Senator with a fairly consistent conservative voting record, but is generally disliked by conservatives and well respected by liberals.

Part of this is a result of media coverage. Both McCain and Hagel get very positive coverage from the MSM. Just that fact alone elicits some level of distrust among many Republicans.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:18 PM

He couldn't win the presidency and here is why.

He has stated over and over this past 6 months or so that he will not run for president. If he ran for president I can imagine that would just give the GOP ammo they need to shoot down his chances.